Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IceflowStudios

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Hey, everyone. Like most, I was debating whether or not to just upgrade to SL, or do an Erase and Install. I decided to try both and note my findings and post my steps below.

Running a Unibody Macbook Pro. 2.93 GHz, 4GB Ram

Short answer: The clean install is running a LOT smoother than the straight upgrade.

The first thing I did, was run a full Time Machine backup on Leopard, just in case the worst happens. In my backups, I exclude all VMs and System Files.

Once the backup was complete, I went ahead and ran the SL upgrade. The installation process was very smooth. Took about 48 minutes to complete. When the system finally booted up again, I noticed that many aspects of the OS were running a lot slower than they should have, and I was experiencing many of the 'bugs' you guys have noted.

-Animations such as dock magnification, spaces, and expose were very '-'laggy'.
-Using the 4 finger gestures returned weird results when repeated. (Swiped up, desktop shown. Swiped up again, animation down, then back up again)
-Icons were all over the place.
-Asian characters floating around the OS.

I decided to give a clean install a shot. either install Leopard, then run the SL update, or an Erase and Install from the SL disk. But DO NOT restore your backup until SL is fully installed.

Now, once SL is back up and running, head into your Migration Assistant and start your restore. This took about and hour and a half to complete.

Once that was complete, I gave the system a reboot and checked things out.

-System was running VERY smooth. No animation lag. Expose and Spaces were running like normal, even with many windows open.
-4 finger gestures were acting like they should, and did in Leopard. Very smooth.
-No more random Asian characters.
-Overall a much more flawless OS.

For all I know, some of you may be happy with your straight SL upgrade, but I've read many threads where people have been noting 'bugs' which I experienced as well, before the clean install.

If you have the time, and patience, I definitely recommend running a backup, then an Erase and Install of Leopard/SL.

Hope this helps.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Why first installing Leopard again and then SL and not directly do an "Erase and Install" with SL? (which is possible with the SL disc) Will there be a performance difference?

Abcmsaj

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
Thanks Howard. I was getting ths problem:

-Using the 4 finger gestures returned weird results when repeated. (Swiped up, desktop shown. Swiped up again, animation down, then back up again)

And I thought the GM version I have was full of bugs. Turns out a clean restore is all I need! I'll pop in the SL disc later after a backup, and Erase and Install :)
:apple::D

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Why first installing Leopard again and then SL and not directly do an "Erase and Install" with SL? (which is possible with the SL disc) Will there be a performance difference?

+1

According to reports, you shouldn't need an existing installation of Leopard before installing Snow Leopard. In fact, your method is not an Erase and Install, it is still an upgrade from Leopard, albeit a 'cleaner' one, but definitely not a Clean Install.

ste1989

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
I upgraded and had the spaces acting weird.
But I simply turned the computer off, and then when I came back to it hours later it runs fine, no lag, nothing

ankit

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Just for the record, I did an upgrade from a 2 month old Leopard install, and everything works as expected. None of the issues you have mentioned.

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Has anyone had a good experience with the upgrade choice as in it was no different to a clean install and everything works fine?

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
I'd second IceflowStudios' findings. I didn't time the systems, but I did an upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard, then after a while, did a clean install.

Didn't bother with migration assistant.
I'd agree with:

-System was running VERY smooth. No animation lag. Expose and Spaces were running like normal, even with many windows open.
-Overall a much more flawless OS.

"If you have the time, and patience, I definitely recommend running a backup, then a clean install of Leopard/SL."

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
I did an upgrade to my white macbook. It was going to be my test SL machine for a week or so.

Went sooooo great, the other two are going to be upgraded today.

Another huge win for Apple!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
This is great news but now I am worried that the UTD DVDs aren't going to allow for a clean install. If that is the case I'm off to buy the $29 retail box.

g725s

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
"Clean Install" is a Window PC term.

"Erase and Install", a Mac term, is what I believe your referring to.

Pegasus665

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2009
Bristol, UK
Has anyone had a good experience with the upgrade choice as in it was no different to a clean install and everything works fine?

Upgraded it as only had the machine for a month so not much installed/personalised to clog up the system. No problems at all.

Lurchdubious

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2008
Texas
I've had my Unibody MB for 9 months now. Last night I just did the SL upgrade, no erasing, and it's working just fine and noticeably faster.

pb1300

macrumors 6502a
Feb 29, 2008
Aigio, Greece
How exactly do you do an "Erase and Install?" Do you first have to do that with Leopard, then upgrade with Snow Leopard, or do you just have to boot from the Snow Leopard CD and hit Erase and Install?

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Upgraded my iMac rather than clean install. Things running perfectly with hugely noticeable speed improvement.

The clean install concept is out of date. This isn't the 20th century! :D

pb1300

macrumors 6502a
Feb 29, 2008
Aigio, Greece
Upgraded my iMac rather than clean install. Things running perfectly with hugely noticeable speed improvement.

The clean install concept is out of date. This isn't the 20th century! :D

I am not going to do it on my MB which is about 4 months old, but I do want to do it on my imac which is about 2+ years old.

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
If I do an Erase and Install will I still be able to install the iLife 09 Apps from my iMac's 10.5 Leopard restore discs or will it argue that its an unsupported system or something similar?

otherwise i'm limited to upgrading only

jlpoore89

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2009
Beaumont, Texas
I did an upgrade yesterday on a 6 month old uMBP. The only problem that I have found is that the new "Battery Condition" feature doesn't show up in the menu bar drop down. I had a friend who did an upgrade on a 2007 MBP and it shows up on his drop down menu.

blahbrah

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2006
I'm on a C2D Blackbook and I upgraded. No problems here. Although I've yet to see autocorrect in action.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I upgraded yesterday and the only issue i'm having is with sleep. My MB will not stay asleep now. Never had issues with Leopard.
So now, i'm considering a CLEAN install, but I've got my worries about Entourage files. Will they be automatically restored by the Migration Assistant?

amoergosum

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
If I do an Erase and Install will I still be able to install the iLife 09 Apps from my iMac's 10.5 Leopard restore discs or will it argue that its an unsupported system or something similar?

otherwise i'm limited to upgrading only

I have the same question.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
So now, i'm considering a CLEAN install, but I've got my worries about Entourage files. Will they be automatically restored by the Migration Assistant?

I used super duper to clone my drive before doing a fresh install.
Everything seems to be working great.
Time Machine decides to leave certain files out but a clone is obviously the best way to assure your files will remain in tact.
Hope you get your sleep problem figured out man!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.