Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aryoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Hello guys. Since 2 days ago my computer has been acting really strange. It started halting for minutes while I was working with it and when I tried to restart the computer, it would randomly boot up or didn't boot up at all. I talked to an Apple expert and she mentioned most probably my hard disk is toasted. I have been using time machine so I thought my data is safe. However, I just found out that because my data which was stored in XP is mounted on a Boot camp hard disk, time machine didn't even bother to back that up as well. I have tried to boot my computer with the Alt option with the hope that the problem might be restricted to my Macintosh hard disk. That failed as the boot sector on XP was gone as well. I have been looking around and everybody seems to suggest Data Rescue II to recover my data. But it seems that DR II cares more about the data on Macintosh Hard disk. As I have safely stored that on time Machine I don't care about this data much. My question is whether DR II is able to recover the Bootcamp hard disk as well as it doesn't seem to be able to recover NTFS. I will be thankful if you guys could help me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.