Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

copperz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
I want to wipe everything of the HD and install from scratch. How would i do that?

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
I want to wipe everything of the HD and install from scratch. How would i do that?

Start from your install cd (hold down C or option during start up)

Format your drive using disk utility

run through setup.

That's generally how I do it, although I don't know if there is an option in the installer that'll format the drive for you. Probably is.

Arn1499

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2009
Vermillion, SD
That's what I did on my iMac. Once SL was installed, I restored my documents/media from my Leopard Time Machine backup using the Migration Assistant.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
Having only used migration assistant once before; is it possible to restore applications (only) from TM backup as well?

KB

S-Man

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2009
Houston
I want to do an erase/install when I receive SL, but I want to keep my emails and some apps (maybe I'll just re-DL the apps).
I also have XP installed on Bootcamp and VMWare Fusion. Will I have to call Microshaft again and get another validation number when I re-install?

This is my first mac and the first time I will have done something like this. I have no idea what to expect or what to look for.
I've had it for about 6 months.
Thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.