Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christurbo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2009
Staffordshire, UK
I thought this might be useful if you wanted do do a clean install with the Snow Leopard DVD. There have been a lot of threads asking about it.

______

Apple designed Snow Leopard 10.6 so that you cannot select 'Erase Install' when booting from DVD like in Leopard 10.5.

Apple states that you need Leopard 10.5 installed in order to 'Upgrade' or 'Install' Snow Leopard 10.6 - This is not true.

This guide shows you how to do a clean install of Snow Leopard 10.6. Extremely hand if you need to install a new hard drive.

Please note this was performed off the 'Upgrade' disk - which shouldnt [according to Apple] be able to do a full install!

I also outline how to migrate your data to the new install.

Let me know what you think.

____

YouTube - Guide: How To Do A Clean Fresh Full Install Of Apple Snow Leopard OS X 10.6

Cheers!

:)

IChing

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
I am having to replace my harddrive and have my backup on time machine and lost my osx disk in a move. Will I have any problems using time machine to get my data back using your method?

Thanks for the great video.... I rated it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.