Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FiIip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
So, I thought it might be interesting to share your digital photography workflow. I would like you to say which apps you're using and just show a basic steps of what you're doing after a photoshoot.

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
Well this is what I do.

1. hook camera up to computer to read the CF card (the files are in RAW of course )
2. Open aperture and hit import into the right folder ( go eat lunch cuz this takes a very long time on a mac mini 07 model )
3. look over the photo's and if there are any multiable shoots compare them and delete the bad ones.
4. take all the good shots and do tweak the settings in aperture such as contrast exposure color etc.
5. throw them into Dfine if they were shoot on iso 800 or higher
6. throw them into Nik's sharping software ( forgot what it was called )
7. call it a day and export them into flickr
8. after I have exported the pictures I back everything up with the built in backup features which have saved me at least 2 times :)

If I don't finish I throw the photo's I didin't get to into a folder called "to do" I almost never leave aperture the whole time! :) I love aperture there are great plugins for it. All I would ever need!

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
1. Import RAWs from CF to Lightroom (in folder named "DD.MM - Project"); include general keywords
1a. Backup created automatically to an external drive
2. Reject unacceptable pics (I'm fairly conservative at this point, so only terrible images get cut here)
3. Flag pics for further editing
4. Edit white balance and exposure in LR
5. Edit in PS CS4 (usually just curves, some Color Efex Pro/Silver Efex Pro or RealGrain...sometimes some layer work...always as ProPhotoRGB)
6. Export from LR to CS4 as full-sized TIFF (ProPhoto RGB)
7. Run PS Actions to resize as needed (using Genuine Fractals), add border (if required), and Smart Sharpen
8. Export for Web (JPEG, sRGB, Quality = 90)

I occationally bypass CS4 altogether at the editing phase and just use LR presets. But the images always end up in CS4 for resizing and sharpening.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
--Import RAW images from CF card via Lexar Pro 800 FW CF card reader to folder on desktop

--Import images from that folder to Photo Mechanic, where I review and select the images worth processing

--Import the good images into Aperture, where I do the actual post-processing steps of correcting WB, cropping (if needed), sharpening, etc.

--Export from Aperture (have a preset for specific resizing, etc.) to folder destined to go to Zenfolio

--Put images in my Zenfolio galleries

Sometimes I need or want to do a little more, and that is when I use CS3; usually this is for special filters or for using layers.

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
1. Import images in to a "Imported Files" folder in Aperture from SD card in card reader.
2. Back-up images using Apertures Vault system.
3. Go through images comparing similar images for sharpness, focal range/point. Reject any that don't pass.
4. Do multi image adjustments such as white-balance.
5. Sometimes I create stacks if there are many images of the same subject.
6. Individually tweak each each image. This may also include exporting to PS to edit.
7. Go through images and reject images that are no longer worthy of keeping.
8. I then keyword images.
9. Move images to folders in my Aperture library.
10. Export a select few, if any, to Flickr.
11. Back-up images to external Vault.

Depending on the amount or quality of adjustments made to images, I may do a few more updates to the Vault while editing.

There you have it.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
1. Import to Aperture from camera into "Import" project using date as master filename
2. Run through and mark rejects and also rate 1-3
3. Move masters to applicable project
4. Process photos with 2-3 stars and rerate
5. Keyword
6. If applicable, export project to transfer to wife's Mac via FTP or to import to iPhoto
7. Backup with Vault to external drive and also iPod
8. Export, if applicable, to Flickr
9. Run through rejects again to double-check then delete
10. Email, if applicable

Aperture is fantastic. Thinking of getting Nik's Aperture plug-ins to further my processing and also Zenfolio.

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
  • connect camera
  • import images into lightroom (with semi-descriptive name)
  • look through them and apply color-labels (red = do not want ;yellow = work on this one)
  • image adjustments on photos with yellow labels
  • optional: work on image in photoshop (if lightroom can't do what i want)
  • apply green label to images i'm satisfied with
  • export green labeled photos with one of my presets (web, monitor, print)

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
*Connect camera to computer
*Import directly into appropriate folder in Aperture, applying general keywords
*Deleting the worst of the worst photos
*Edit photos in Aperture as needed for exposure, WB, crop, etc.
*Delete any others not salvageable
*Move to PS for smart sharpen or any filters/effects
*Back to Aperture to create stacks, if needed
*Rate images

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
Shoot
Plug in SD or CF reader
Take card out camera
Plug card in
Make minor tweaks
Sort them

(That's about all I can do on my PB, I have aperture but it is too slow on my G4 and my Intel has an unsupported GPU :mad:)

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Shoot
Plug in SD or CF reader
Take card out camera
Plug card in
Make minor tweaks
Sort them

(That's about all I can do on my PB, I have aperture but it is too slow on my G4 and my Intel has an unsupported GPU :mad:)

You might want to try Lightroom? I demoed both Aperture and LR about a year ago when I had a PBG4. Aperture seemed pretty slow and LR was so much more responsive and actually ran pretty well on the G4. It was what decided me to go with LR vs. Aperture. Just pre-render the 1:1 previews and after that working with the images actually is pretty smooth. I was able to manipulate 45MP stitched panorama TIFF files and while a little slow it was more than workable.

Ruahrc

ncmason

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2007
  1. Open Lightroom.
  2. Import CompactFlash card via USB card reader.
  3. Organize by event/date into corresponding folders in LR.
  4. Edit in Develop panel of LR.
  5. Export for emailing family/friends/clients.
  6. Print 4 x 6's (if needed).
  7. Upload/Ship to Kodak for bigger than 4 x 6 or 8 x 10 size.
  8. (For Panoramic photos, I use EZPrints)
  9. Backup via Carbon Copy Cloner onto FireWire drive.
  10. Eject CF card.
  11. Clear CF card, backup card data onto DVD-R (in addition to FireWire drive).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.