Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CalMin

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
No glitches, drama, instability or application incompatibility. Snow Leopard was probably the most boring upgrade I have ever done. I told my wife not to plan anything this weekend to give me time to tinker and fine-tune everything, but nothing was needed. I figured I'd at least be forced to clean install one machine, but there has been no need to.

Love all the improvements too. Everything feels faster and more responsive and generally smoother. $50 well spent.:D

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
+1

You said it a bit more succinctly than I did, but nonetheless, I came to the same conclusion earlier today (I posted the following in another thread, but I'm gonna repost it here, as it's a better place for it.):

I've had just a bit over 2 full days experience with Snow Leopard, but I still have the same impression. A lot of the little, rough edges in 10.5's UI have been smoothed out. The speed improvement is very noticeable in launching apps, the Finder, Mail, Safari (yes, "snappier"), and just a general responsiveness. We are already seeing some of the fruits of the massive labor which has been accomplished under-the-hood, and we'll only see more of it in the months and years to come.

Some reviewers have been disappointed by the lack of UI/noticeable changes. Overall, I have a different take: the fact the user doesn't have a new OS "in their face" is a good thing! There is no reason to make changes for the sake of change. Apple (as they've said all along) has put forth enormous effort in developing the operating system itself - something a lot of users don't have an in-depth knowledge or understanding thereof; or, for that matter, even care about. It's no wonder there are so many dreary, "I don't see anything new" reviews. To those reviewers, I say go back and re-read the sales brochure. Apple has more than delivered as promised. To see the very few glitches in a point-zero rev is a testament to all the hard work which has gone into both Leopard AND Snow Leopard. Good job Apple!

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
The least the OP could've done and I still recommend it is to change his thread title to something like, "10.6, perhaps the most stable OS upgrade ever". Your thread title suggest the same as the rest of the wasted threads saying, "Snow Leopard, is that all I get?"
Since yours is a thread of good experiences please change your thread title to help us here? There's too much negativity threads about SL, and mostly because people don't know what the hell they are doing.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
The least the OP could've done and I still recommend it is to change his thread title to something like, "10.6, perhaps the most stable OS upgrade ever". Your thread title suggest the same as the rest of the wasted threads saying, "Snow Leopard, is that all I get?"
Since yours is a thread of good experiences please change your thread title to help us here? There's too much negativity threads about SL, and mostly because people don't know what the hell they are doing.

I have to disagree - it's actually perfect in light of the other threads. OP - don't change a thing! :D

Ropie

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2007
England

You are quite funny with your moroseness :D I saw you in another thread giving someone a good telling off on behalf of Apple inc. This is a great title for a thread and really sums up the experience of upgrading (note: not using). I waited for just over half an hour and had to resort to a book (The Stand by Stephen Kind) to pass the time. No buttons to press, no glitches, no lock-ups, no messages to read - perfect! Everything since then has been smooth as flowing water.

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
The update process was really boring, and I think Snow Leopard hates bluetooth all of a sudden, have you guys tried to sync or pair your phone (Non iPhone cell's please) to your mac with SL, can you guys tell me if it pairs properly..

I have a WhiteBook M-2007 2.0 GHz C2D, and my macbook just wont' connect or pair with my phone via bluetooth... http://twitpic.com/ftme0

do you guys have any suggestions?

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
You can't right click on the Bluetooth icon in the menubar and turn Bluetooth on before pairing?

Or doing that and trying it doesn't work? :confused:

yatz

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2008
Nice post OP. im in the process of moving homes so havent had the chance to upgrade to SL yet. Just wanted to know wherher you did an upgrade or a clean install? Im going to upgrade as soon as i have settled down and got some spare time!

Yatz

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
You are quite funny with your moroseness :D I saw you in another thread giving someone a good telling off on behalf of Apple inc. This is a great title for a thread and really sums up the experience of upgrading (note: not using). I waited for just over half an hour and had to resort to a book (The Stand by Stephen Kind) to pass the time. No buttons to press, no glitches, no lock-ups, no messages to read - perfect! Everything since then has been smooth as flowing water.

Ha, interesting you have nothing better to do other than to recall all of my posts "telling people off" as you call it. What do you think you're doing to me by your post? Putting me in my place? :rolleyes:

It's obvious people are jumping on me for a very small request I made. My point was there are so many negative threads on MR about SL, and newbies come here wanting to buy a new Mac for the first time and seeing so many negative thread titles tend to scare people off, obviously you could care less about this, and don't call me an Apple apologist because I'm not. While you were checking out my posts telling people off in behalf of Apple Inc, you obviously missed several of my posts upset that Apple didn't ship the UTD SL discs by the 28th. I stuck up for a lot of people, but of course you missed that. :rolleyes:

Ropie

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2007
England
Ha, interesting you have nothing better to do other than to recall all of my posts "telling people off" as you call it. What do you think you're doing to me by your post? Putting me in my place? :rolleyes:
You are quite right - I am just waiting for my daughter to get ready so we can go out for the day! Not trying to put you in your place, I suspect you're a decent person and you did genuinely make me laugh.

obviously you could care less about this
Grammatically, doesn't this mean that I do care about it :confused:

While you were checking out my posts telling people off in behalf of Apple Inc, you obviously missed several of my posts upset that Apple didn't ship the UTD SL discs by the 28th. I stuck up for a lot of people, but of course you missed that. :rolleyes:
I wasn't checking your posts out; I just happened to see you in a thread just below this one. Glad to hear you are spreading the love!

As for putting newbies off, I don't quite agree. People are generally more likely to look into threads with a negative vibe to them. Then when they see that the news is actually good, they go away happier, no?

amoergosum

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Same here.
Although it was not boring for me since it was my first clean install ever.
Everything went smooth.

bjorn989

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2008
Must say that I agree completely with this thread!

Boring is good. I hate when software gets all 'interesting' on me...

Everything is faster and easier to use. There are no complaints from me here!

Aron Peterson

macrumors member
May 27, 2008
North Carolina
All OS upgrades are incremental, but I have to say that 10 years ago I imagined we would be further along by now. No matter which platform we use - we're still moving windows about by grabbing the title bar, still using the same cursor, still treating files and folders the same way, still connecting to the net the same way, the apps mostly behave the same way, games just have better graphics and despite new controllers they are still not immersive as they could be. There hasn't been that much advancement in the last decade to be frank :confused:

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
So you wanted everyone to install it to have their machines entirely unusable?

I don't know about you but this is how an OS upgrade should be - quiet and without any problems.

Jordz

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2008
England, U.K
+1

You said it a bit more succinctly than I did, but nonetheless, I came to the same conclusion earlier today (I posted the following in another thread, but I'm gonna repost it here, as it's a better place for it.):

I've had just a bit over 2 full days experience with Snow Leopard, but I still have the same impression. A lot of the little, rough edges in 10.5's UI have been smoothed out. The speed improvement is very noticeable in launching apps, the Finder, Mail, Safari (yes, "snappier"), and just a general responsiveness. We are already seeing some of the fruits of the massive labor which has been accomplished under-the-hood, and we'll only see more of it in the months and years to come.

Some reviewers have been disappointed by the lack of UI/noticeable changes. Overall, I have a different take: the fact the user doesn't have a new OS "in their face" is a good thing! There is no reason to make changes for the sake of change. Apple (as they've said all along) has put forth enormous effort in developing the operating system itself - something a lot of users don't have an in-depth knowledge or understanding thereof; or, for that matter, even care about. It's no wonder there are so many dreary, "I don't see anything new" reviews. To those reviewers, I say go back and re-read the sales brochure. Apple has more than delivered as promised. To see the very few glitches in a point-zero rev is a testament to all the hard work which has gone into both Leopard AND Snow Leopard. Good job Apple!

I completely agree. Apple have taken a brilliant operating system and made it better. They've smoothed off corners and NOT changed the whole UI completely. I had one program that didn't work, it was a plugin that I've had for a couple of years. Quite frankly, I'm not bothered, I don't use it at all!
The speed improvements are very nice and I got Just over 10gig of space back somehow:eek:!
Apple have clearly done what they CLEARLY stated they would do. The worlds most advanced operating system finely tuned.

I don't know why people were expecting something completely new, does the name not give it Snow Leopard as in Leopard but like Snow before it :rolleyes:

Jordan

CalMin

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Apple has more than delivered as promised. To see the very few glitches in a point-zero rev is a testament to all the hard work which has gone into both Leopard AND Snow Leopard. Good job Apple!

Exactly my point and thank you for contributing here. To have a significant re-engineering of the underlying code and to have nothing major break is beyond my expectations.

Calling it "boring" is an attempt at dry wit. Obviously, its lost on you.

I have to disagree - it's actually perfect in light of the other threads. OP - don't change a thing! :D

But others got it. Thanks for your support gr8fly - I've no intention of rewording. :)

Nice post OP. im in the process of moving homes so havent had the chance to upgrade to SL yet. Just wanted to know wherher you did an upgrade or a clean install? Im going to upgrade as soon as i have settled down and got some spare time!

I backed everything up just in case a clean install was needed, but I just did the upgrade. Just remember that the initial reboot is slow and a bit flaky. Snow Leopard seems to improve markedly after the 2nd or 3rd reboot

Apple have clearly done what they CLEARLY stated they would do. The worlds most advanced operating system finely tuned.

I don't know why people were expecting something completely new, does the name not give it Snow Leopard as in Leopard but like Snow before it :rolleyes:

Quite right. For $29 bucks, a lot of folks seem to have been expecting a whole new user experience. That's just not what Apple promised here. Arguably this is comparable to what XP service pack 2 delivered for Windows users (except that XP was a bit dodgy before SP2, whereas Leopard was rock solid). I actually like that Apple did not feel compelled to throw in a bunch of useless trinkets and clutter. OS X is mature - it will be interesting to see what 10.7 brings.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Boring is exactly how I described upgrading to Snow Leopard. I did have a small bit of excitement in that I had to reinstall my Canon printer software to get my wireless printer/scanner working again. I also had to update a few programs to get the SL compatible versions (Cyberduck, 1Password), but that's not much excitement. I'm still waiting on Crossover Games to update for SL, but I've been doing gaming with Bootcamp lately anyway.

I'm also hoping for Safari Adblock to support 64 bit mode Safari fairly quickly so I can stop using Safari in 32 bit mode. I tried Glimmerblocker, but it doesn't work quite as well as Adblock. I get a grey loading bar using Glimmerblocker that doesn't happen with Adblock (used to happen after Safari 4.0.3 update until Adblock updated to fix it).

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
You can't right click on the Bluetooth icon in the menubar and turn Bluetooth on before pairing?

Or doing that and trying it doesn't work? :confused:

Actually the bluetooth is on, but it's having some weird actions to it, soon as i enter the code into my phone the bluetooth icon turns off, try clicking it it says 'Not Available' then after that, it turns back on. but then it doesn't pair....

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
My point was there are so many negative threads on MR about SL, and newbies come here wanting to buy a new Mac for the first time and seeing so many negative thread titles tend to scare people off
So people shouldn't report their legitimate bad experiences with SL? Because this will hurt Apple Sales?

LOL!

And as far as you being an Apple Apologist... if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
So people shouldn't report their legitimate bad experiences with SL? Because this will hurt Apple Sales?

LOL!

And as far as you being an Apple Apologist... if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

Wrong. If you buy something and it works, is that bad? That means Windows is extremely kickass because it doesn't work.

Sipheren

macrumors regular
May 28, 2006
Aus/Gold Coast
Installed my copy of SL last night, no problems at all, everything still works, the system so much more responsive and QTX is great along with the new expose.

$40 well spent :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.