Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 31, 2009, 03:28 PM   #1
Stijlloos
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
MacBook Pro LOUD BEEP - Black Screen

Hi,

My MacBook Pro does not start up anymore and makes a very loud beep when I switch it on. You hear the DVD drive make the typical start up sound and from then it does nothing except beeping very loudly.
Is this because my hardware might be damaged?
Please let me know what to do...

Dennis
Stijlloos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 03:30 PM   #2
kryptonianjorel
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijlloos View Post
Hi,

My MacBook Pro does not start up anymore and makes a very loud beep when I switch it on. You hear the DVD drive make the typical start up sound and from then it does nothing except beeping very loudly.
Is this because my hardware might be damaged?
Please let me know what to do...

Dennis
Sounds like a POST code. 1 long beep means its not detecting RAM, i believe
__________________
MBP 15.4/2.66/2x2GB/320/SD/GLSY
Mini 1.66CD/1GB/80GB/SD/GMA950/AP/BT
iPod Touch 2nd Gen, 16 GB, OS 3.0
iPod 5th Gen, 60 GB
kryptonianjorel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 03:31 PM   #3
Stijlloos
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonianjorel View Post
Sounds like a POST code. 1 long beep means its not detecting RAM, i believe
Oh no, it is beeping with pauses. Like every 2 seconds!
Stijlloos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 03:36 PM   #4
kryptonianjorel
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijlloos View Post
Oh no, it is beeping with pauses. Like every 2 seconds!
Well, theres long beeps and short beeps. You'll have to count and see how many it gives you and google the answer.
__________________
MBP 15.4/2.66/2x2GB/320/SD/GLSY
Mini 1.66CD/1GB/80GB/SD/GMA950/AP/BT
iPod Touch 2nd Gen, 16 GB, OS 3.0
iPod 5th Gen, 60 GB
kryptonianjorel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 03:38 PM   #5
Stijlloos
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonianjorel View Post
Well, theres long beeps and short beeps. You'll have to count and see how many it gives you and google the answer.
It is just a simple beep for 0.6 seconds approx. and then a gap of 5 seconds between each beep....
Stijlloos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 03:48 PM   #6
J the Ninja
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
1 beep = no RAM installed. Assuming you have RAM installed, check that it is seated properly. If it still doesn't work, try swapping it out for other RAM.
__________________
Flickr | deviantART | Vimeo
J the Ninja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 04:51 PM   #7
fabian9
macrumors 65816
 
fabian9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijlloos View Post
Hi,

My MacBook Pro does not start up anymore and makes a very loud beep when I switch it on. You hear the DVD drive make the typical start up sound and from then it does nothing except beeping very loudly.
Is this because my hardware might be damaged?
Please let me know what to do...

Dennis
Dennis,

these two articles on the apple website might help you determine the cause of your problem:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2674?viewlocale=en_US

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2538?viewlocale=en_US

Regards,

Fabian

PS: It does look like it is a RAM problem, have you changed your recently? As the previous poster mentioned, check if they are still fixed properly.
fabian9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 07:46 PM   #8
Stijlloos
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian9 View Post
Dennis,

these two articles on the apple website might help you determine the cause of your problem:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2674?viewlocale=en_US

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2538?viewlocale=en_US

Regards,

Fabian

PS: It does look like it is a RAM problem, have you changed your recently? As the previous poster mentioned, check if they are still fixed properly.
Hi Fabian,

Thanks for your reply. The second link says exactly what I counted. Now I at least now what to change: RAM.

Thanks a lot for helping out!
Stijlloos is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macbook pro black screen SiimM MacBook Pro 4 Jan 11, 2014 04:53 AM
MBP: Loud scratching noise followed by three beep freeze alec6542 MacBook Pro 0 Jun 23, 2013 03:09 AM
****** loud beep ^^ CoolMacLover Mac Basics and Help 1 Dec 15, 2012 05:50 AM
Black screen with beep ... How to retrieve file? bbmiLo MacBook Air 2 Dec 1, 2012 02:11 AM
Why i got black screen on my macbook pro? Perryrocks MacBook Pro 11 Jul 11, 2012 09:58 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC