Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Aug 31, 2009, 03:33 PM   #1
hakukani
macrumors regular

color laserjet 2600n work with snow leopard?

Does anyone know if color laserjet works with 10.6? It's not listed as supported in any list I've seen...
hakukani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 03:49 PM   #2
cmaier
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakukani View Post
Does anyone know if color laserjet works with 10.6? It's not listed as supported in any list I've seen...
My color laserjet 3800 works - I imagine the driver wouldn't be very different.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 08:48 PM   #3
hakukani
macrumors regular

Color laserjet 3,xxx are listed, but the 2,xxx are not. I hope you're right.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 09:33 PM   #4
cmaier
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakukani View Post
Color laserjet 3,xxx are listed, but the 2,xxx are not. I hope you're right.
Possibly they just didn't test with the 2xxx
cmaier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 09:33 PM   #5
rhyx
macrumors 6502

2600 and 3800 use significantly different drivers. I believe the 3800 supports postscript while the 2600 requires host-based printing support (generally meaning Windows only).
rhyx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 09:37 PM   #6
cmaier
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyx View Post
2600 and 3800 use significantly different drivers. I believe the 3800 supports postscript while the 2600 requires host-based printing support (generally meaning Windows only).
Did not know that :-( Thought they all supported postscript.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 09:46 PM   #7
trunkster
macrumors member

I have the exact same printer. For some reason Snow Leopard doesn't come with the drivers for it, even though I could swear it came with the Snow Leopard betas. But that doesn't matter because you can install the driver from HP's website. I've tested it and it seems to work 100%.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...5&swEnvOID=219

btw, I have a network install but I believe it's the same drivers, unlike in Windows where they are different driver set.
trunkster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 02:59 AM   #8
hakukani
macrumors regular

Thanks.

If the 10.5 drivers work, I'm happy, since I've been using 10.5 with this printer. I'll upgrade as soon as my DVD comes from Amazon...
Old Sep 1, 2009, 08:26 AM   #9
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyx View Post
The HP Color LaserJet 2600 is supported by HP on MacOS X. It requires a proprietary driver.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 08:50 AM   #10
streboRekiM
macrumors newbie

I wasn't able to even see my 2600n on my network after installing SL on my MacBook (09).

I douwnloaded the driver and installed it and still couldn't see it.

However, I do have a Mac Mini on my network running 10.5 that I have set up to share the printer through Bon Jour.

That works.

If anyone has any detailed directions on how to get it to work directly (not shared), please post.
streboRekiM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 09:48 AM   #11
Dave789
macrumors newbie

My HP 2600n is working just fine with 10.6. I did go to HP's site and get the drivers for OSX for it before trying though.

Tested both direct USB and as a networked printer and both ways are working.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...5&swEnvOID=219
Dave789 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:27 PM   #12
awuestenfeld
macrumors newbie

My 2600n works fine as long as I am plugged directly into my computer. Problem is that I have the HP running to my Airport Extreme and have been printing wirelessly... this is not working. Any suggestions?
awuestenfeld is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:58 PM   #13
brdavidjr
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by awuestenfeld View Post
My 2600n works fine as long as I am plugged directly into my computer. Problem is that I have the HP running to my Airport Extreme and have been printing wirelessly... this is not working. Any suggestions?
I had exactly the same problem.

What I did was go to System Preferences/Print & Fax and then proceeded to add the 2600n.

I got an error message when I tried using the driver from the drop down menu. So I tried "Other" which opened the "Finder". I went to Desktop where the 2600n OS X 10.5 Installer was still "docked". I clicked the Installer icon and that seemed to have worked. My 2600n (on my Airport Extreme Network) was added and it worked.

I don't know what I did right, but it worked. I didn't understand anything that I did ... I am a recent switcher from Windows, but I'm glad my 2600n is up and running at a network printer again.
brdavidjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 09:29 AM   #14
philbaker
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to philbaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by brdavidjr View Post

What I did was go to System Preferences/Print & Fax and then proceeded to add the 2600n.

I got an error message when I tried using the driver from the drop down menu. So I tried "Other" which opened the "Finder". I went to Desktop where the 2600n OS X 10.5 Installer was still "docked". I clicked the Installer icon and that seemed to have worked. My 2600n (on my Airport Extreme Network) was added and it worked.

I don't know what I did right, but it worked. I didn't understand anything that I did ... I am a recent switcher from Windows, but I'm glad my 2600n is up and running at a network printer again.
I had the same problem. My 2600n is connected via Time Capsule. I followed the same procedure as above and it worked. But I don't know why and I've been using Macs since 1991. I hope we'll have a driver soon !!
philbaker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 02:18 PM   #15
yends
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdavidjr View Post

I followed the directions indicated above and the printer is now working, although it seems a lot slower than under 10.5.
yends is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 01:37 PM   #16
hakukani
macrumors regular

Thanks all. I installed the driver from HP for 10.5, and it worked fine.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 02:58 AM   #17
louden
macrumors 65816

Does anyone have the 2600n drivers working over Bonjour?

I have (or had) my printer hooked up to an airport express and tucked out of the way. Unfortunately, I'm unabled to print via Bonjour in Snow Leopard. I need to take a laptop over to the printer to print. Less than ideal.

Dell Pentium 2 with 500 MB HD Windows 95
Compaq iPaq w/ 64MB of Ram
louden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 11:55 AM   #18
Sko
macrumors member

driver offers only basic support in 64bit apps

The current drivers for the 2600n will print from any app, but advanced features are only available for 32bit apps (like manual duplex, layout and color settings).

See posts from HP Mac Architect in Apple's forums on this topic.
Sko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 12:25 AM   #19
hakukani
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by louden View Post
Does anyone have the 2600n drivers working over Bonjour?

I have (or had) my printer hooked up to an airport express and tucked out of the way. Unfortunately, I'm unabled to print via Bonjour in Snow Leopard. I need to take a laptop over to the printer to print. Less than ideal.
Follow the instructions above, and your printer will work. I'm connected wirelessly through an airport extreme.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 03:08 AM   #20
donstenk
macrumors member

Old mac

same problem here - I have to print from my old iMac G4 to access the duplex feature!
donstenk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X