Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Hi there Cocoa buffs! :p

Can some kind person, please tell me how I go about removing the cluttered looking list of recent projects from the splash screen that pops up when I start Xcode 3.2?.

I just find it looks a total mess, and in need of a spring clean. I hope I have explained myself clearly, so I have attached a shot, just to clarify. Thankyou all.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-08-31 at 21.29.30.png
    Screen shot 2009-08-31 at 21.29.30.png
    167.8 KB · Views: 1,428

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Looks like the data is located in the Xcode preferences file in NSRecentXCProjectDocuments. However, the data stored is the new 10.6+ URL bookmark, so you'd have to probably write some code to read it. Easiest solution is to just delete the entries associated with the index of the item you want removed.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Looks like the data is located in the Xcode preferences file in NSRecentXCProjectDocuments. However, the data stored is the new 10.6+ URL bookmark, so you'd have to probably write some code to read it. Easiest solution is to just delete the entries associated with the index of the item you want removed.

??? :confused:

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Hah! found it! :D :

Code:
$ defaults write com.apple.Xcode NSRecentDocumentsLimit 0

0 can be 0-20

Expert Preferences

Xcode maintains a list of "expert" preferences, which are not exposed through the GUI. A full list of these can be found [here], however the most useful are:

defaults write com.apple.XCode XCShowUndoPastSaveWarning NO # Disable "undo past last saved state" warning
defaults write com.apple.Xcode PBXBuildFailureSound /path/to/sound # Sound to play on build failure
defaults write com.apple.Xcode PBXBuildSuccessSound /path/to/sound # Sound to play on build success
defaults write com.apple.Xcode PBXGDBDebuggerLogToFile YES # Enable gdb logging (to capture gdb problems for Radar)
defaults write com.apple.Xcode PBXCustomTemplateMacroDefinitions # Customise template macros (e.g., change "ORGANIZATIONNAME")
defaults write com.apple.Xcode NSRecentDocumentsLimit 20 # Show 20 recent projects (rather than default of 10)

See this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMYt_HvlCwc

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I think that's going to limit how many recent projects Xcode lists. In your case since you set it to 0, it's not going to show any recent projects. Probably not the workaround you wanted I would imagine...

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
I think that's going to limit how many recent projects Xcode lists. In your case since you set it to 0, it's not going to show any recent projects. Probably not the workaround you wanted I would imagine...

It'll do for now ;)

iDSD

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
Open Xcode, leave the splash screen up and choose "File", "Open Recent Projects", "Clear Menu" will remove all from the list and let you start over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.