Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gwillyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
Anyone know of a good, free PS1 emulator for the Mac. I have a real desire to play the original Metal Gear Solid!!!!!

djphatbeat

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2006
Ahhh this brings back memories!

Connectix Virtual Game Station or CVGS came out and then was bought by sony to stop it being developed, flarestorm was also developed at the sametime.

I found this on google http://www.zophar.net/macintosh/psx.html

but I'm sure you can google and find CVGS or Flarestorm :)

hope this helps.

lannister80

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2009
Chicagoland
Yep, I used CVGS on my AIO Mac (with 233MHz G3 and 32MB of RAM) back in 1999. Played all the way through Metal Gear Solid with it, worked like a charm.

Of course, it only works in OS 9. :(

Tsurisuto

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Thanks for all the answers guys, but was hoping for something a little more uptodate. Maybe with Snow Leopard and 64bit support.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Wouldn't it make more sense to get either a PS1, a PS2, a PSP* or a PS3? All of the above play PS1 games perfectly.. :D

In bootcamp there are a number of options..

* when the game is downloadable anyway.

There must be some reasonable PS1 emus for osX.. http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcsxosx/ ? Google is a better bet than here.

john1620b

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2009
There's a newish emulator being developed that I've never tried called PCSX-Reloaded. SpeedofMac has some information on it and keeps a list of the latest updates for it on his blog.

savvos

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
PCSX-R runs very well on OSX and SpeedofMac even has a guide for how to run the Windows version of the emulator under Wine in order to get enhanced graphics. I highly recommend checking it out. I personally run ePSXe under Wine.

Akashshr

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2013
Disk change problem with PCSX-R MAC

PCSX-R runs very well on OSX and SpeedofMac even has a guide for how to run the Windows version of the emulator under Wine in order to get enhanced graphics. I highly recommend checking it out. I personally run ePSXe under Wine.

Hey all, Please help me solve this problem, its really been a long time I am stuck with it.
Or re direct me to the right thread,

I am using PCSX-R playing legend of the dragoon ( 4 CD game ).
I just finished the first one, and at the "please insert disk 2" screen, I am lost and dont know what to do. I have tried many things.

Things I have tried:-
1) There is an "Eject CD" option then just hangs the application.

2) On the "Pease insert disk 2" screen I just go to file and click recently run disks and choose disk 2 there in the menu. Then the game displays, "Please while while checking for right disk" and then displays "wrong CD inserted"

Please I really want to play this game, you are god if you can help me figure this out.

PS- I run it on the MAC version of PCSX-Reloaded 1.9.93
I am using ISO files to load the game disks
I have got to the end of the first CD by using freeze state and Defrost state! In game memory card dont work, even though I have them set up. *Thats a different problem*

Thanks everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.