Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janfandk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
I have installed SL on my macbook and it's a disappointment so far.
Browser open slow - generally functions doesn't - function.
Applications to open at start up in my account doesn't open.
Well - anyone with some ideas to solve this?

bengtc

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
I did notice that safari takes a split second longer to open than it did on 10.5, but I attribute that to it being 64-bit??

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
How? Shouldn't it to be the most problem free choice?
It should be but I lost about 90% of my Spotlight tags and all my browsers kept locking after using the Open File dialog box.

Upgrading doesn't suffer those problems but Safari is much more crash prone.

santos79

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2009
Try 64-Bit kernel

I also didn't see much of an improvement and then I rebooted using the 64-Bit kernel and it's much snappier. Seeing you have a Macbook, I'm not sure you will be able to boot into 64-Bit kernel mode though.

janfandk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
I also didn't see much of an improvement and then I rebooted using the 64-Bit kernel and it's much snappier. Seeing you have a Macbook, I'm not sure you will be able to boot into 64-Bit kernel mode though.

I have noticed this discussion about the change from 64 to 32-bit kernel in SL, but first of all - I don't feel for changing anything.My major reason for using Mac is that I don't have to change things myself to make it run. Secondly - I wouldn't know how to do it (yet) ;-)

hidehide

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
I love my SL
Everything is faster.
Expose was jerk the first few days. Now everything is silky smooth..

Perhaps spotlight was indexing for the first few days?

janfandk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
I love my SL
Everything is faster.
Expose was jerk the first few days. Now everything is silky smooth..

Perhaps spotlight was indexing for the first few days?

I have seen this theory being mentioned before - anyone who knows something about it?

A Macbook Pro

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2009
Clean install went fine. It's running pretty much the same 10.6.1 will make it a stable OS, and then our Macs will be ready for whatever apps the future has planned for us.

cptbigt

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2009
Clean install went well with no issues at all. The speed difference is noticeable, all apps are mostly opening instantly, and the larger apps only take a few seconds. Boot times have halved and overall I'm very happy with snow leopard.

But I think most have to remember that this is more of a foundation upgrade, setting the path for the future. Once developers use the new technologies and write 64 bit apps, you will notice the difference.

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom
I notice a massive performance difference. SL is by far way faster and smoother than Leopard. I reckon if I went back to 10.5 I'd find it painful....

SL really is heading in the right direction in terms of tweaking the OS to perfection. I'm quite happy with this update.

Hammy :)

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2009
Leeds, England
For me SL is an improvment to leopard.

i just did an update rather than a wipe and install, and everything seems to be fine.

I also noticed that SL makes my mac run at a higher temperature...anyone else notice that?

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
I also noticed that SL makes my mac run at a higher temperature...anyone else notice that?
Being still on 10.5, the above is the main reason I won't upgrade to SL.

My fans rarely kick in right now and I kind of like the quiet.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
Reboot. Really!

SL seems to do some caching or something. I was initially underwhelmed by the performance, after the 3rd reboot, things are like butter.

Jordz

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2008
England, U.K
Everything seems to run faster, however I have noticed that my processor does get a lot hotter when in use. The temperature in 10.5 ranged when just doing nothing from 30-50 now it's around 60. When I push my mac it now from 70 degrees on leopard to 80+!

messedkid

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2007
Oshawa, ON
I am running SL on a Core Duo Macbook.

The only areas I actually really notice a difference, are the new features (duh!) and boot/shutdown speeds.

Can't really tell if Leopard was any slower than this, but then again, I was running 32 bit then, and I'm running 32 bit now.

:rolleyes:

ThundrChicken

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2009
For me the boot/shutdown times are noticibly faster, especially the shutdown times (2 seconds!). Scrolling finder is also silky smooth now, even with icon sizes above 256pix. This was something which would stutter in Leopard if you tried to scroll really fast. All 'light' applications now open after one bounce, and the heavier ones take 1-2. Not bad at all. I'm very happy with Snow Leopard for the most part, and it will only get better from here on hopefully.

The only thing I dont like is how Quicktime X is so severely crippled. Why Apple didn't just redo the code from Quicktime 7 onto X is beyond me. Right now it uses Quicktime 7 for legacy functionality while moving into the future with a new set of features. If only I can adjust the aspect ratio on the fly (like I could with QT 7) with QT X, Id be happy.

Donut4000

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
In line with a few posters above, I am finding Snow Leopard a marked improvement on Leopard. Loading times are generally noticeably faster, and the whole OS is much more responsive. The things that don't work for me are 3rd party apps like Safari Ad Block, Smart Scroll and such - but updates are imminent. No deal breakers though. I have to mention that this is a clean install, and I resisted any kind of migration so I could retain as virgin a system as possible, with a view to resolving any bugs that float to the surface. I did an update install first, and had a few problems that I couldn't easily solve, with the main one being safari downloading links. Instead it would open up a new blank tab, and there would be no download. This is fixed now.

GetMobiled

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2009
SL seems much more responsive to me too. I did an upgrade, not a clean install. What's your MacBook's specs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.