Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jul 1, 2004, 12:20 AM   #1
Koree
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to Koree
How do you Upgrade G5 Ram?

Hello,

Im getting a G5 soon, (instead of a 15 inch Powerbook) and wanna get the standard settings for hardware and upgrade the ram myself. So... How! Don't you have to put the ram in as pairs or something on a G5? If so, what has to be similar between the pair? Do they have to be identical or something, is it just amount of memory or is it speed too? O, and people who have bought their G5s, where did you buy the ram? (internet site please)

Thanks in Advance
Old Jul 1, 2004, 02:49 AM   #2
Mac Maven
macrumors member

I've had a very difficult time tonight installing RAM in my G5. The modules seemed to only want to go one half in but not the other half. Finally I was able to get them in by getting one side in and then the other, but alas the modules don't register. Shouldn't both sides go in and lock down at the same time? And is it mandatory that the modules go into the first open slot on each side, or can you skip to the next pair?

Last edited by Mac Maven; Jul 1, 2004 at 02:55 AM.
Mac Maven is offline   0
Old Jul 1, 2004, 03:34 AM   #3
caveman_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koree
Hello,

Im getting a G5 soon, (instead of a 15 inch Powerbook) and wanna get the standard settings for hardware and upgrade the ram myself. So... How! Don't you have to put the ram in as pairs or something on a G5? If so, what has to be similar between the pair? Do they have to be identical or something, is it just amount of memory or is it speed too? O, and people who have bought their G5s, where did you buy the ram? (internet site please)

Thanks in Advance
A lot of people buy their RAM from crucial. The RAM needs to be installed in pairs.
caveman_uk is offline   0
Old Jul 1, 2004, 06:40 AM   #4
Koree
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to Koree
Thanks

Thanks Caveman, i'll definately look into crucial
Old Jul 1, 2004, 08:56 AM   #5
Mac Maven
macrumors member

I imagine someone has some advice for me, right? Guys?
Old Jul 1, 2004, 09:08 AM   #6
Falleron
macrumors 68000

I have many memory modules in and out of G5's over the last 3-4 months. They have to be installed in Pairs (same type + size as far as I am aware). Crucial is a great source of memory. You get the guaratnee its compatible with the G5. You work from the outside pairs to the inside. I think you can use any pair, but you may loose a little performance though (not 100% about that though) . A huge amount of force should not be required. The board may flex a little as you push them in. Make sure the restraining clips are pushed out.
Falleron is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers