Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
Hey, I have an old 1gb 1st gen shuffle that just stopped working out of nowhere.

When I connect it to my Mac, it connects, verifies that it is connected, can sync, transfer songs and everything.

But as soon as I eject it and remove it, it will not power on, the battery light does not light up.

I have already updated the firmware and restored it about 10 times.

Am I just out of luck or does anyone have any ideas on anything I could do to get this kicking again?

RKO

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
If it is useable when plugged into the mac but loses power when you disconnect there may be problem with the battery no longer holding charge in the shuffle. Being a 1st generation shuffle the battery has most likely lived out it's life and may be dead.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
As peter said, seems like the battery, as when it's plugged in, they get their power from the USB.

If you prefer the classic shuffle, get it checked by Apple, see if you can get a battery replacement. I know they have a list on their website somewhere, can't remember where though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.