Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Sep 2, 2009, 01:51 PM   #1
invasian
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to invasian Send a message via MSN to invasian
Self-assigned IP address and cannot connect to internet

Hi everyone. This problem has been driving me nuts.

First, I have RCN cable with the modem that they supplied me.

Second, I want to connect my router (Westell 6100) to the modem so that I can have wifi.

Here are the different scenarios that I have done with their respective results.

1. Using ethernet cable, connecting from my modem directly to my MBP, i have internet access. So no problems there

2. I connect the ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN port of the router. Wireless is active as is internet (both lights turn green). Using my iPhone, i connect to wifi, it asks for the password, I enter it in, I am connected. Using my MBP, it says I have a self-assigned IP address and I cannot connect to the internet.

3. I connect the ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN port of the router. Wireless is active as is internet (both lights turn green). If I connect another ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports on the router to my MBP, I have internet access

So I guess my question is, why isn't my MBP picking up the wifi like my iphone is? If anyone could help me, that would be great. I have searched around the internet, but nothing has helped.

Thanks,
QP
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:48 AM   #2
slu
macrumors 65816

I feel your pain. This started happening to me a few weeks ago on all machines for no reason at all. I had changed nothing at all. I changed my router and made several other changes, but nothing has worked.

You can try some of the suggestions here, but I have not yet found anything that is a permanent solution: http://www.davidpierron.com/index.ph...009/04/13/289/

I am starting to think there is some fundamental problem with OS X. I may try switching to a non-Apple router to see if that helps.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help