Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dapness

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere but I was curious if this new Wake On Demand feature would benefit the Apple TV if you stream from a desktop. I have a Mac Pro with 3TB of HD space but dont want to leave it on all the time just to serve my Apple TV so I have all my media stored locally. I also dont feel like running upstairs to turn on my desktop everytime I sit down to watch something. If my desktop would just turn on when called upon that would be straight.

Also, has anyone heard if there are any issues streaming from an "N" network. I've got a few 720p movies that I would like to watch but would be concerned about the quailiy while streaming.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I'd like to know, too, though I'll probably give it a try myself this weekend and see how it goes. If I do, I'll report back.

GottaLoveApple4

macrumors member
May 11, 2008
The wake on demand feature only works if the Mac is ON. The AEBS/TC will wake it from sleep and share the files with the Apple TV, but iTunes still needs to be open.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The wake on demand feature only works if the Mac is ON. The AEBS/TC will wake it from sleep and share the files with the Apple TV, but iTunes still needs to be open.

I think the ON part is implied. I read it as the OP doesn't want to leave the Mac in the awake ("on") state and would prefer it to sleep until needed.

But you are correct in that the Mac must remain on, but asleep, for it to work. But, yes, good point in that one must leave iTunes running at all times (doesn't everyone?).

GottaLoveApple4

macrumors member
May 11, 2008
Gotcha. I didn't read it that way, but that works. I leave iTunes open all the time so it definitely isn't a problem for me. Just changed my sleep settings so I can save the most power too.:D

Dapness

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
I think the ON part is implied. I read it as the OP doesn't want to leave the Mac in the awake ("on") state and would prefer it to sleep until needed.

But you are correct in that the Mac must remain on, but asleep, for it to work. But, yes, good point in that one must leave iTunes running at all times (doesn't everyone?).

Right, I don't want to leave my Mac "awake". It would be great if it could awake from a "sleep" state when I acess content on it from my :apple: TV. I would buy Snow Leopard for sure if it worked like that.

Shuttleworth

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2008
UK
I tried wake on wireless last night, my iMac was asleep with iTunes open, my :apple:TV could browse the library (streamed and synced items) as if the iMac were on, then when I selected an item to play, the iMac woke up and the film started streaming, it did take a bit longer than usual to start, as would be expected. The screen came on when it woke up.

I've not had any problems streaming 720 content bought from iTunes store across my N network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.