Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Sep 2, 2009, 07:17 PM   #1
EatMyApple
macrumors 6502

Not receiving Voice Mail that has been left for me....

First off, this isn't just me as it's also occurring to a friend of mine who starting having the issue first.

Whenever I miss a call and a voice mail is left, I receive no notification that I have a new voice mail. At first I was just assuming that no messages were being left. The other day, my phone froze up so I did a reset by holding the Home and Power button for 10-15 seconds. The phone took about 10 minutes to load up but after it did, it immediately loaded 25 voice mails dating to over a month old.

So I started to test my phone for voice mails. I would call from another number, leave a message, and nothing.

What do I need to do to fix this? Thanks!
Old Sep 2, 2009, 07:19 PM   #2
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

That can happen if you're on EDGE and surfing and receive a phone call. However, 25?
Old Sep 2, 2009, 07:21 PM   #3
EatMyApple
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone.aggie View Post
That can happen if you're on EDGE and surfing and receive a phone call. However, 25?
I'm not on EDGE, got a strong 3G signal usually always.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 07:25 PM   #4
RaceTripper
macrumors 68030

I get the problem too now and then. ATT denies anything is wrong when I complain, but it does happen. Sometime I don't get the voice mail until I reboot. Sometimes it's just delayed by many hours.

And I thought Sprint was bad...
RaceTripper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 07:27 PM   #5
EatMyApple
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
I get the problem too now and then. ATT denies anything is wrong when I complain, but it does happen. Sometime I don't get the voice mail until I reboot. Sometimes it's just delayed by many hours.

And I thought Sprint was bad...
I have tried to reboot to see if they show and nothing. They just simply refuse to show. This goes on for days and apparently over a month as I never realized I was missing messages lol.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:36 PM   #6
greg486
macrumors newbie

Angry Same thing...on 3GS

I get the same problem on my 3GS, I'll get a call, miss it, and then assume no one leaves a message only to find out that after a reboot for a particular reason, they all show up, from a few days ago including the one I watched and missed purposely. AT&T needs to resolve this issue. If T-Mobile can support their non-AT&T comrads using the iPhone, then they should fix their issues for the customers that are legit subscribers. AT&T=FAIL IMO! FIX IT!!!
greg486 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:46 PM   #7
MacDryCleaner
macrumors regular

Possible fix?

I took my iPhone into the ATT store when I was having similar issues. I was missing calls but my phone wasn't ringing ... voicemails were delayed hours ... calls were being cut off. The ATT person gave me a new sim card and everything has been great since.

Hope this helps.
MacDryCleaner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 01:34 PM   #8
thelordnyax
macrumors regular

I was having the exact same problem, i would only get voicemails when the phone rebooted...and i found a solution

go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

you won't lose your tethering, if you have that, and voicemail will function properly again!
thelordnyax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 01:45 PM   #9
nehunte
macrumors 6502

I had the same unfortunate problem. It was happening to me and didn't even realize it. I just assumed everybody was just saying they left voicemails and actually didn't. During this two month period, I was still getting voicemails every once in a while. So I assumed nothing was wrong. I had also power cycled my phone probably once a week too, and nothing new ever popped up.

Decided one day to restore my phone to factory settings cause my phone was a bit laggy compared to out-of-the-box standards. After my phone locked onto the network, it popped up saying I had 25 voicemails!! All of which were from the past two months. It was really strange. The strangest part is still the fact that I had been getting voicemails during that time intermittently. AT&T claims it was a phone problem. I can't really argue with them about it because I don't fully understand how visual voicemail works. But now I'm starting to understand why some people opt out of VVM. It does seem to have it's problems.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:12 PM   #10
dgalvan123
macrumors 6502a

Had this same problem.

I reset network preferences as suggested in this thread, and my missing voicemails showed up! This is the first time I have had this problem. Now I will be more vigilant about this, though. . . will I have to reset my network preferences every week or so, I wonder? The only way I'd know that I am missing a voicemail is if someone tells me, which is unacceptable since I use this phone for business.
dgalvan123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 07:58 AM   #11
microman
macrumors newbie

I too had this same problem on 2 different 3Gs' after updating to 3.1.2. I also went in and reset network settings, and they both started working.. I hope I dont have to keep doing that to keep it working.
microman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting