Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EatMyApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
First off, this isn't just me as it's also occurring to a friend of mine who starting having the issue first.

Whenever I miss a call and a voice mail is left, I receive no notification that I have a new voice mail. At first I was just assuming that no messages were being left. The other day, my phone froze up so I did a reset by holding the Home and Power button for 10-15 seconds. The phone took about 10 minutes to load up but after it did, it immediately loaded 25 voice mails dating to over a month old.

So I started to test my phone for voice mails. I would call from another number, leave a message, and nothing.

What do I need to do to fix this? Thanks!

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I get the problem too now and then. ATT denies anything is wrong when I complain, but it does happen. Sometime I don't get the voice mail until I reboot. Sometimes it's just delayed by many hours.

And I thought Sprint was bad...

EatMyApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
I get the problem too now and then. ATT denies anything is wrong when I complain, but it does happen. Sometime I don't get the voice mail until I reboot. Sometimes it's just delayed by many hours.

And I thought Sprint was bad...

I have tried to reboot to see if they show and nothing. They just simply refuse to show. This goes on for days and apparently over a month as I never realized I was missing messages lol.

greg486

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2009
Same thing...on 3GS

I get the same problem on my :apple:3GS, I'll get a call, miss it, and then assume no one leaves a message only to find out that after a reboot for a particular reason, they all show up, from a few days ago including the one I watched and missed purposely. AT&T needs to resolve this issue. If T-Mobile can support their non-AT&T comrads using the :apple:iPhone, then they should fix their issues for the customers that are legit subscribers. AT&T=FAIL IMO! FIX IT!!!:mad:

MacDryCleaner

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2007
Possible fix?

I took my iPhone into the ATT store when I was having similar issues. I was missing calls but my phone wasn't ringing ... voicemails were delayed hours ... calls were being cut off. The ATT person gave me a new sim card and everything has been great since.

Hope this helps.

thelordnyax

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
I was having the exact same problem, i would only get voicemails when the phone rebooted...and i found a solution

go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

you won't lose your tethering, if you have that, and voicemail will function properly again!

nehunte

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2009
I had the same unfortunate problem. It was happening to me and didn't even realize it. I just assumed everybody was just saying they left voicemails and actually didn't. During this two month period, I was still getting voicemails every once in a while. So I assumed nothing was wrong. I had also power cycled my phone probably once a week too, and nothing new ever popped up.

Decided one day to restore my phone to factory settings cause my phone was a bit laggy compared to out-of-the-box standards. After my phone locked onto the network, it popped up saying I had 25 voicemails!! All of which were from the past two months. It was really strange. The strangest part is still the fact that I had been getting voicemails during that time intermittently. AT&T claims it was a phone problem. I can't really argue with them about it because I don't fully understand how visual voicemail works. But now I'm starting to understand why some people opt out of VVM. It does seem to have it's problems.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Had this same problem.

I reset network preferences as suggested in this thread, and my missing voicemails showed up! This is the first time I have had this problem. Now I will be more vigilant about this, though. . . will I have to reset my network preferences every week or so, I wonder? The only way I'd know that I am missing a voicemail is if someone tells me, which is unacceptable since I use this phone for business.

microman

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2007
I too had this same problem on 2 different 3Gs' after updating to 3.1.2. I also went in and reset network settings, and they both started working.. I hope I dont have to keep doing that to keep it working.

Delayedvoicemail

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2016
First off, this isn't just me as it's also occurring to a friend of mine who starting having the issue first.

Whenever I miss a call and a voice mail is left, I receive no notification that I have a new voice mail. At first I was just assuming that no messages were being left. The other day, my phone froze up so I did a reset by holding the Home and Power button for 10-15 seconds. The phone took about 10 minutes to load up but after it did, it immediately loaded 25 voice mails dating to over a month old.

So I started to test my phone for voice mails. I would call from another number, leave a message, and nothing.

What do I need to do to fix this? Thanks!
[doublepost=1460047719][/doublepost]This "delay of voicemail" just cost me over 20K. I am just beside myself pissed.
Unbelievable.

kwie

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2016
I had the same problem with my "work" phone. Many missed calls but no voicemails left. Then I found out people were leaving messages but the phone was not showing them. I just did the Reset Network Settings and now have 23 voicemails. I had tried to call Verizon but their computer access system shuts you out over and over so you cannot speak to a human and they do not list this problem on their troubleshooting section. Thank God for this Forum!!

Mac4EverNot

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2018
Maryland
My iphone 5 has started mixing up voicemails. If person #1 calls and leaves a voicemail, that might be recorded but the next voicemail from person #2 might not be recorded and the recording of #1 replaces it. This has happened for about a week and I have a business, so this is a BIG problem. I went to the Apple Store and they tested the phone and said it passed the diagnostic tests. They said there is NOTHING wrong with the phone and referred me onto Verizon for a service problem. Verizon said it was not a Verizon problem but rather an Apple problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.