Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tundotcom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
NYC
I'm gonna get the 3rd gen iPod touch next week but I was wondering if it would be worth it to get it at Best Buy and get their Black tie warranty program as opposed to Apple Care. The advanced Black tie plan has the accidental damage coverage which Apple Care doesn't. Does anyone know how much the advanced plan is for current iPod touches? I assume it should be similar or the same for the new 3rd gen.

Thanks.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Is there a 3rd gen touch and does the program come with an actual tie?

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
i got black tie on my pre and its something like $10 a month charged to my credit card... i think its worth it over the applecare plan for the iphone for example but im not sure what the plan is for the touch..

blacktie for the pre covers everything except for water submersion damage... and the BB guy told me that if that does happen, just run my phone over with my car and they will still replace it...

tundotcom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
NYC
i got black tie on my pre and its something like $10 a month charged to my credit card... i think its worth it over the applecare plan for the iphone for example but im not sure what the plan is for the touch..

blacktie for the pre covers everything except for water submersion damage... and the BB guy told me that if that does happen, just run my phone over with my car and they will still replace it...

$10 a month? I can't pay for a certain length of coverage at the time of purchase? :(

and lol @ what the Best Buy guy told you

fernande-mac

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
Midwest
The cost is around $7-$15 per month depending on the device.

Geek Squad® Black Tie Protection (GSBTP) plans may only be purchased within the standard return/exchange timeframe of the product. For an iPod touch, that would be 30 days.

(GSBTP) include accidental damage from handling (ADH) coverage, they do not include coverage for intentional misuse and abuse! True, the plans will cover your device if you spill a cup of coffee on it, the LCD screen breaks, or if you drop it in a puddle. They will not, however, cover damage caused by any of the following:

• Accidental loss
• Biological contamination
• Complete immersion in water
• Extreme environmental conditions (heat or cold)
• Insect infestation
• Rodents
• Theft
• Unauthorized repairs or modifications
• Being run over by a vehicle of any kind (steamrollers included!)

Remember that “accidental damage” is only considered to be what could reasonably occur over the course of normal use!

Some details for the plans for MP3 players can be found under http://www.geeksquad.com/uploadedFi...ices/Content/Black_Tie_Protection/BTP_MP3.pdf.

You can find more information at the Geek Squad® website (http://www.geeksquad.com/blacktie). More specifically at http://www.geeksquad.com/gslibrary/.../terms_and_conditions/20080914/20080914TC.pdf.

You can ask for details at the BestBuy Forums (http://www.forums.bestbuy.com) under "Best Buy Forum : Customer Service : Manufacturer Warranties and Protection Plans".

I hope this helps.

fernande-mac

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
Midwest
I look at all extended warranties with a fine comb. There is always something that you do not take into account.

If you look at the terms and conditions of the black tie program, you will find a limit for the number of times the battery can be replaced or the screen can be repaired.

The concept of "accidental damage" is very limiting, so you may have to fight your way to justify the damage if the store repair technician is giving you a hard time.

Finally, you either have to repair your device or get a refurbished one. Getting a new device is only allowed if your device has been repaired four times. All repairs will take time to send the unit and get it back, so you will be without your device for several weeks while the damage is fixed.

Yes, the AppleCare Protection Plan :apple: (http://www.apple.com/support/products/applecareipod.html) may not offer accidental damage. However, I like their phone support. You can call them for anything you want. From setting up the device to actual issues with it.

I guess it all depends on what you really want at the end.

If you think you will be rough with the iPod and are afraid of accidental damage, then go for the BestBuy protection plan.

If you think you will be careful with the device, but are concerned about factory problems within the first two years, or you think you will need help setting up and/or using the device, then go for the AppleCare protection plan.

If you are already familiar with the iPod and are extra careful with it, then save the money and use it on a hard case. :)

sarcasticdesign

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2008
a big pro for applecare is that, one more than one occasion, i've walked in with malfunctioning apple stuff and walked out with a new product, free, covered under applecare.

my iphone had the bubble screen and when i called in, the nice and very chinese woman told me the store will "reprace it, no probrem!" and also "extend ya warranty a few day so you can get to apple stoe!" (my warranty was upcoming in a few days.

lastly she professed "you lucky boy fo calling in today! you warranty up in two day!!!"

i went to the store, they ran some diagnostics, and i walked out with a new iphone and replacement warranty.

can't beat that!

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
whatever you do...dont let them give you a brown tie... :eek:

How does accidental insurance work?

After 3 years you throw your ipod on the floor and get a new updated one?

fernande-mac

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
Midwest
How does accidental insurance work?

After 3 years you throw your ipod on the floor and get a new updated one?

Good point there.

The protection plan if for two years, not three.

The accidental damage from handling (ADH) coverage will try to repair the device you bring in. If for some reason they can't, then they will give you a new one.

So, you can hope that after two years, the repair parts for your device are not available or hard to get. Then, you could walk out with a new device.

However, consider that you paid $7-$15 per month for two years. So, it is not really a new free unit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.