Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdbowerman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
I have an emac g3 running mac os 8.6 and i figured after a decade it was time to update it. Only one problem, the cd/dvd drive doesnt work, and it isnt recognizing my external dvd drive. So i have os x10.5 on a 16 gig thumb drive, I used windows to save it on the flash drive after formatting the flash drive HFS. When i put the flash drive in the mac it pops up and shows that there is osx.dmg on the disk, but mac doesnt know how to open it. , I also tried to boot from thumb drive holding down alt, c and every other key. So now that i atleast have the iso on the mac how can i extract it and run it. Is there an older isoprogram that will work on os8.6?
ANY IDEAS PLEASE>>>>>

mperkins37

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
If it did install it would likely run severely handicapped.
Buy a newer machine if you need OSX. G5's & 1st gen Intel Machines are relatively cheap, or buy new & be good for another 5-6 years.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Are you sure it's an eMac? If so they all had G4 processors and should be able to run Leopard providing you give them plenty of RAM. If it's an iMac G3 you may as well give up now. You're not going to get 10.5 running on there.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Are you sure it's an eMac? If so they all had G4 processors and should be able to run Leopard providing you give them plenty of RAM. If it's an iMac G3 you may as well give up now. You're not going to get 10.5 running on there.

AFAIK the original eMac shipped with 9.2.2 (dual'ed with 10.something), and there's never been an eMac running OS 8.... (So it probably is not an eMac)

Don't get me wrong... this thing doesn't need Leopard, but... :D

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
It sounds like an iMac. If its got enough RAM it'd probably run 10.4 Tiger.

That said a hardware update is probably the best idea ;).

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
I have a 400MHZ iMac running Tiger. I got it free with 13GB and 128MB of RAM.

To get it running I threw in 120GB drive (IDE/PATA - hard to find these days), more memory (320MB now), and upgrade OS.

By the time you price that out, take a look at a mini. A refurb mini is $419 today. The keyboard and mouse can come over, but you would need to add a monitor.

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
Simply copying a DMG will not make it bootable, you have to properly make the drive a bootable installer using Disk Utility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.