Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Sep 4, 2009, 07:35 PM   #1
monsieurx
macrumors newbie

new iphone 3gs could not be restored - unknown error -1

Hi,

I bought this 16gb iphone 3gs 3 weeks ago and yesterday it crashed during a software update.

I can't do anything with it any more, it is in some sort of safe/recovery mode and just tells me to plug into PC/Itunes.

When I do that, ITunes tells me I need to restore it, I say yes but it crashes with:

"iphone could not be restored, unknown error (-1)"

the software update file is iPhone2,1_3.0.1_7A400_Restore.ipsw

Note I didn't do anything special with my phone, just added a few contacts and downloaded a few popular apps.

What should I do? I restarted Itunes, my computer, tried a different USB port... but got the same thing.

Anyone else in the same boat? should I just use the insurance and get a new one?

Thanks

MonsieurX
monsieurx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2009, 08:22 PM   #2
PhightinPhils26
macrumors 6502a

Have you tried putting your phone in Recovery Mode?
Old Sep 4, 2009, 08:42 PM   #3
monsieurx
macrumors newbie

Yes and i still get the same thing, itunes detects it is in recovery mode, tells me i need to restore it, then, during the restore:

-it "extracts the software"
-it "prepares the iphone for the restore"
-it wants to verify something with Apple and crashes with "could not be resored, unkonwn error (-1)"

i have no choice, no option at all, when I connect it to my PC, the only thing I can do with ITunes is to click on the "restore" button that will try to restore it with the most recent ipsw that seems to make it crash...

Oh dear!
Old Sep 4, 2009, 10:03 PM   #4
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

You actually should be trying DFU mode first:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034
Old Sep 5, 2009, 06:53 AM   #5
monsieurx
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help, both of you

...but, still get the same thing: DFU mode or recovery mode, could not be restored, unknown error occured (-1).

I mean, what is this? I would understand if I was doing dodgy stuff with it but I have barely used it; it's all new and the only things I did is to give phoncalls!
Old Sep 5, 2009, 07:17 AM   #6
PhightinPhils26
macrumors 6502a

I really have no clue... Have you or have you tried to put Beta software on your phone? Are you trying to downgrade?

I'm grasping at straws here now. If you haven't done any of the above I would take it to an Apple store and swap it out. To my knowledge, since it's a 3GS it will still be a brand new phone.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 08:44 AM   #7
monsieurx
macrumors newbie

I solved my problem :-)

Basically, I assumed there was something wrong with my computer so I tried on others.

First, at the office and it didn't work because my machine there uses windowsXP 64 bit (and it seems itunes only works for either winXP-32 or winVISTA-64).

Then on a friend's laptop and that worked.

Funny thing is my home computer managed to do the software update properly before and I can use it for normal synchrnozation tasks. It is just this restore that couldn't work, no matter what (DFU / recovery / restart...).

The only thing I can think of is something funny with the USB ports that let me down before (some dodgy stuff in the window /system / peripherals panel).

Well, hope that helps someone else.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 09:03 AM   #8
UngratefulNinja
macrumors 68000

That's not the right software for the 3gs is it? I thought 2,1 was for the 3g.
UngratefulNinja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 09:12 AM   #9
PhightinPhils26
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieurx View Post

Basically, I assumed there was something wrong with my computer so I tried on others.

First, at the office and it didn't work because my machine there uses windowsXP 64 bit (and it seems itunes only works for either winXP-32 or winVISTA-64).

Funny thing is my home computer managed to do the software update properly before and I can use it for normal synchrnozation tasks. It is just this restore that couldn't work, no matter what (DFU / recovery / restart...).

The only thing I can think of is something funny with the USB ports that let me down before (some dodgy stuff in the window /system / peripherals panel).

Interesting... Glad it worked out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UngratefulNinja View Post
That's not the right software for the 3gs is it? I thought 2,1 was for the 3g.
iPhone is 1,1
iPhone 3G is 1,2
iPhone 3GS is 2,1
Old Sep 5, 2009, 09:13 AM   #10
UngratefulNinja
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhightinPhils26 View Post
Interesting... Glad it worked out!

iPhone is 1,1
iPhone 3G is 1,2
iPhone 3GS is 2,1
Doh! Thanks
UngratefulNinja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 12:09 PM   #11
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieurx View Post

You must have corrupted one or more of the files in iTunes. Do an uninstall of iTunes and reinstall.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting