Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Sep 4, 2009, 07:57 PM   #1
maxreality
macrumors newbie

friend dropped his powerbook (kernel panic)

Hello All,

A friend of mine dropped his Powerbook G4 a few days ago. When he tried to turn it on he got the message indicating he must restart his computer. I found out this is a kernel panic message. The drive didn't sound good so I swapped it out with a WD Scorpio 160GB drive. I put the Tiger CD in and the computer recognized the new harddrive and I installed it. After rebooting the message came, yet again.

I'm able to boot the computer in safe mode but not in regular. I've tried new ram simms with no success.

Can anyone offer any other advise? I booted the computer into single user mode (command prompt) and tried fsck which came back with no errors.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
maxreality is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2009, 09:59 AM   #2
DesignerPro27
macrumors newbie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxreality View Post
Hello All,

A friend of mine dropped his Powerbook G4 a few days ago. When he tried to turn it on he got the message indicating he must restart his computer. I found out this is a kernel panic message. The drive didn't sound good so I swapped it out with a WD Scorpio 160GB drive. I put the Tiger CD in and the computer recognized the new harddrive and I installed it. After rebooting the message came, yet again.

I'm able to boot the computer in safe mode but not in regular. I've tried new ram simms with no success.

Can anyone offer any other advise? I booted the computer into single user mode (command prompt) and tried fsck which came back with no errors.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Try looking in the System Profiler and see if the Airport Card shows as working. Sometimes it can be dislodged and cause the problem you are describing. Hope this helps.
DesignerPro27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:25 AM   #3
Eric S.
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerPro27 View Post
Try looking in the System Profiler and see if the Airport Card shows as working. Sometimes it can be dislodged and cause the problem you are describing. Hope this helps.
I would go with that too. The Airport card may also have been damaged so you could try taking it out entirely and see if the panic goes away.
Eric S. is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs