Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superhob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
I just ordered a 12" powerbook (My First Apple! :) ).

The only option I ordered was the upgrade to 80gb 5400 rpm hard drive.

I just wanted to ask how I can verify that I do indeed have the 5400 HDD and not the 4200rpm drive that comes with the 15" and 17" superdrive models?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
One way, which is probably being brain-dead of me, is just to run Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility. It'll show you the drive model. You could look that up to verify the speed (i.e., for my primary drive, it shows up as '149.1 GB ST3160023AS', and I can check Seagate to verify the specs).

I'm sure there's a better way....

ToastCabbit

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2004
Centre College
:) I ordered the same thing and couldn't be happier. I love my little 12". :) When I open up System Profiler I don't see anything that exactly says "5400rpm" (I may have missed it), but there are two other things you can do.

1) Check the label on the box when your computer arrives. They should tell you the basic components of your system, like the hard drive speed. Also, check your invoice for additional charges and see if it correctly corresponds to the upgrade price.

2) You can go to the system profiler and find out how big your hard drive is. Go to System Profiler [under Apple Menu:About This Mac:then click More Info:] Hardware: ATA, then click on ATA-6 BUS. If it says 80GB (or ~70-odd GB) and maybe Hitachi HTS548080M9AT00 (or at least that's what mine says. Don't know if that changes) you know you have the larger, faster hard drive.

Have fun with your new mac and treat it kindly! :)

Bossx20

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2004
Toast, how loud is your 5400 in your powerbook? I am about to order a pb and dont know if I want the 5400 because I would like it to be mostly silent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.