Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munkees

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
Today

I had a movie to rip, first one, since I have upgraded to SL. So I decided that I want 64 bit version, it was very very easy to build, the instructions are on the handbrake website, follow them.

so far it seems to be running fine, I am not expecting it to run any faster, and probably does not offer any thing new, I just did it for the hell of it.

izibo

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2004
Today

I had a movie to rip, first one, since I have upgraded to SL. So I decided that I want 64 bit version, it was very very easy to build, the instructions are on the handbrake website, follow them.

so far it seems to be running fine, I am not expecting it to run any faster, and probably does not offer any thing new, I just did it for the hell of it.

Congratulations?

apramanik

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
San Francisco, CA. USA
Could not find the link on Handbrake website for 64-bit version

Today

I could not find the link to download 64-bit version of Handbrake, as you have stated.

Ice-Cube

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
I could not find the link to download 64-bit version of Handbrake, as you have stated.

Originally Posted by munkees
Today

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Is there an OpenCL/GCD-optimised version in the works? THAT would be nice. :D

munkees

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
The only problem I have had with the 64 bit handbrake, is you need a 64 bit VLC to decrypted the DVD, I have tried to build a 64 bit VLC, but all the supported libraries needed, I have to build individually, and some of those libraries need other libraries, it get to be a pain. This is being difficult I might swap to using fairmont to copy on to the HD then using HB.

sr55

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Is there an OpenCL/GCD-optimised version in the works? THAT would be nice.

No.

GCD is of no benifit to HandBrake.
OpenCL is up to the x264 devs. I don't think we'll see any OpenCL optimizations for a year or so. (Assuming it actually works out at all)

so far it seems to be running fine, I am not expecting it to run any faster

From testing, the 64bit can be up to 5~10% faster compared to a 32bit SVN build.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.