Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:22 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Why MobileMe is really worth it

Category: Apple Services
Link: Why MobileMe is really worth it
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:34 AM   #2
anjinha
macrumors 604

Good article.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:17 AM   #3
LEStudios
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBytes View Post

Category: Apple Services
Link: Why MobileMe is really worth it
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
I'm Happy!
LEStudios is offline   0
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:22 AM   #4
elppa
macrumors 68040

What is actually in that box?

More to the point… what's the idea of having a retail box for a cloud based service?
elppa is offline   0
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:50 AM   #5
jamesdc
macrumors newbie

I could be happy with MobileMe

I have one main problem with MobileMe which without I would be very happy with the service.

I am into my second year with my MobileMe family pack and since Push was introduced I have never ever had any email from my MobileMe accounts pushed to any of iPhone 3G, 3GS or iPod Touch 2G and this is the case with all users on my family account.

Everything else pushes perfectly both ways and my mail even pushes outward so to speak, ie if I check my MobileMe email manually and read an email on an Apple mobile device it instantly appears as read on my iMac which receives push email perfectly within seconds of someone sending one to me.

I have been in constant contact with Apple regarding this problem and they have been keeping me up dated as best they can, however I received which seems a final update today stating the message below.

"Thank you for your patience as we have been investigating your issue.

Our engineers are still conducting an in-depth investigation into the root cause of the issue you have reported. Unfortunately, at this point there is no estimated time frame for a fix, as it appears that it will require a lot more engineering time. It may be an issue that is resolved in a future update to MobileMe or the iPhone OS. Apple won't contact you again about this issue unless we have questions about the information you provided."

I would find it hard to believe that my account is the only MobileMe account that doesn't work with push email to any Apple mobile devices
TV 2nd Gen
jamesdc is offline   0
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:57 AM   #6
Gatteau
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Gatteau
Quote:
Originally Posted by elppa View Post
What is actually in that box?

More to the point… what's the idea of having a retail box for a cloud based service?
Here's whats in the box.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:03 PM   #7
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by elppa View Post
Something to put on the shelves in the Apple and Best Buy retail stores?
aristobrat is offline   0
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:07 PM   #8
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

It baffles me how many times people will ask whether MM is worth it. Worth is very personal in my opinion. While there could be a consensus on personal worth, it does not mean that it is any less personal.

I have MM and if I paid any more than $65 for it then it is not worth it to me. Even at $65 a year it feels like a bit of a rip off. Until Find My iPhone came into the mix I had considered getting rid of MM, but with that, the "worth" of the subscription went right up.
GoCubsGo is offline   0
Old Sep 6, 2009, 08:05 PM   #9
jkimbro0316
macrumors regular

Personally, the integration between my mail, contacts, and calendars is definitely the most valuable feature for me. Find My iPhone shouldn't be the only reason for people to buy MM. Plus if someone has an iPhone/iPod Touch, the push email feature is really handy.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 08:54 AM   #10
pacohaas
macrumors 6502a

find my iPhone should be free.
pacohaas is offline   0
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:50 AM   #11
ajbrehm
macrumors 6502

From the article:

"What finally turned the corner for me with MobileMe was the 'Find My iPhone' feature of iPhone OS 3.0. It’s everything that an Apple feature is supposed to be."

I tried this when I visited my parents in Germany with my Irish iPhone.

It couldn't find the phone. I tried several times. Roaming worked, the phone was definitely connected to the network.

The only time it ever found my phone was when I was in Dublin.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 04:48 PM   #12
deboni
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to deboni
Mobile Me's value

I like it, and use it. The automatic syncing from desktop to server to phone is pretty solid. However, as a place to store backups and files in general, it's very limited by low bandwidth and sluggish performance. I sometimes see less than 20 k bits per second uploading images, and my normal upload speed to other server can hit millions of bits per second - easily 100 times as fast as to MM.
deboni is offline   0
Old Sep 7, 2009, 07:10 PM   #13
SpaceKitty
Banned

I think it's worth it as well. Mine renews in 5 days so I'm just going to let it.

I only use it for email and the push services. I love how it keeps three phones and two Macs one Windows computer in sync.
SpaceKitty is offline   0
Old Sep 7, 2009, 07:13 PM   #14
SpaceKitty
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatteau View Post
Here's whats in the box.
That was hard to watch. That boy shouldn't be playing with a sharp knife and then he had trouble getting the papers out of the box.
SpaceKitty is offline   0
Old Sep 7, 2009, 07:19 PM   #15
Pyrotechnic
macrumors regular

I thought it was a girl
Old Sep 7, 2009, 07:56 PM   #16
hexonxonx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
I thought it was a girl
Ummmm maybe it was.
hexonxonx is offline   0
Old Sep 7, 2009, 08:05 PM   #17
daze
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to daze Send a message via AIM to daze
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceKitty View Post
That was hard to watch. That boy shouldn't be playing with a sharp knife and then he had trouble getting the papers out of the box.
That's exactly what I was thinking! Big sharp knife!
daze is offline   0
Old Sep 7, 2009, 08:11 PM   #18
Scottyk9
macrumors 6502a

If idisk syncing worked as well as other services (like Dropbox), it would be be fantastic. While I like mobileme and will continue using it, I find it disappointing that I have to use another service to do what mobileme is supposed to be able to do.
Scottyk9 is offline   0
Old Sep 7, 2009, 08:20 PM   #19
inigel
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdc View Post
I have one main problem with MobileMe which without I would be very happy with the service.

I am into my second year with my MobileMe family pack and since Push was introduced I have never ever had any email from my MobileMe accounts pushed to any of iPhone 3G, 3GS or iPod Touch 2G and this is the case with all users on my family account.

Everything else pushes perfectly both ways and my mail even pushes outward so to speak, ie if I check my MobileMe email manually and read an email on an Apple mobile device it instantly appears as read on my iMac which receives push email perfectly within seconds of someone sending one to me.

I have been in constant contact with Apple regarding this problem and they have been keeping me up dated as best they can, however I received which seems a final update today stating the message below.

"Thank you for your patience as we have been investigating your issue.

Our engineers are still conducting an in-depth investigation into the root cause of the issue you have reported. Unfortunately, at this point there is no estimated time frame for a fix, as it appears that it will require a lot more engineering time. It may be an issue that is resolved in a future update to MobileMe or the iPhone OS. Apple won't contact you again about this issue unless we have questions about the information you provided."

I would find it hard to believe that my account is the only MobileMe account that doesn't work with push email to any Apple mobile devices
I have the same problem with mail not being "pushed" to my iPhone. I found it only did it when I was connected with wi-fi. When I turn wi-fi off and use the 3G network, it pushes fine.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 11:04 PM   #20
LEStudios
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by inigel View Post
I have the same problem with mail not being "pushed" to my iPhone. I found it only did it when I was connected with wi-fi. When I turn wi-fi off and use the 3G network, it pushes fine.
My mail works fine make sure you go to setting and select Push on the iPhone. I never had a problem my favorite part is that Contacts updates are push to server or vice versa. I never had such a live up to date address book before and I mean absolutely NEVER with Microsoft. What make it so bad the sit on the Exchange Server technology.
LEStudios is offline   0
Old Sep 8, 2009, 05:57 AM   #21
soLoredd
macrumors 6502a

I like MobileMe, the push services are great and OTA syncing is fantastic. The only thing lacking is iDisk. The speeds are horrendous, to the point where I don't even use it and have to resort to DropBox. I cannot believe Apple continues to let it stay in the state that it is.

So, no I do not think MobileMe is worth $99 but I pay it because having my iPhone in sync with my Mac is great, the galleries are good when I use them, and the email service is fine. But, I think a $69 price point is suffice.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 07:32 AM   #22
AlmostThere
macrumors 6502a

Location: The royal throne of kings, the sceptred isle, the other Eden, the fortress built
I wish Apple would include domain name registration and manage migration.

All the workarounds sound like a massive pain and the last thing I want is yet another email address to manage or to be almostthere999999@me.com
Old Sep 8, 2009, 01:40 PM   #23
53buick
macrumors member

enterataining article. obviously this is worth it for some, but i'm still not sold. i just don't "get it" and I've been a mac zealot since '99.
53buick is offline   0
Old Sep 8, 2009, 01:43 PM   #24
Jack Flash
macrumors 65816

It would really be great to see iDisk behave like DropBox.
Jack Flash is offline   0
Old Sep 9, 2009, 09:23 AM   #25
ajbrehm
macrumors 6502

The MobileMe Web apps don't really work via proxy servers, or at least via some proxy servers.

Webmail requires me to reload the main window after composing an email so I can send it.

And the calendar usually reloads itself before I can finish adding an item to it.

I contacted support for a year and all they can tell me is that they want to test my account (which works fine when used without a proxy) and that "proxy servers are not supported by MobileMe" (which is silly for a Web app) and that I should use a real email program when I am behind a proxy server (which I cannot because that's what the proxy server is meant to block).

All-in-all, I'd give the following grades:

SMTP: very good
Galleries: very good
Sync: very good
Web mail: wanting
Web calendar: extremely wanting
Find iPhone: fail (it mostly works, but it's only useful when I can rely on it and since it sometimes doesn't work, it's useless)

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion