Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nateharr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Ok, today I was complaining about how expensive the data plan for my iPhone has been getting when I don't really get 3G everywhere I should. (I am a happy AT&T and Apple customer, I just made a bad decision in buying my iPhone during my current financial struggle.)

I've always seen people selling their iPhones on craigslist and eBay for ungodly amounts of money.

How do I get in on this? :D

I understand that I need to jailbreak and unlock my iPhone for maximum profit, but I would like to avoid that.

Can I cancel my data plan without repercussions? Can I sell it after simply doing a full restore?

Any help would be appreciated. (Also, I know I'm a noob but I couldn't find a designated eBay forum. If there is one, mods please move this.)

Thanks.

Lakerfan210

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
Yes you can cancel your data plan without any problems. I would try craigslist first and deal locally. No need to jailbreak but you might lose tmobile buyers. If you go the eBay way try to sell to us bidders only.

wingsabr

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
I've sold iPhone 3G in eBay a couple of months ago and I'm a powerseller so I'll give you some tips.

1. JB/unlock vs. Factory Fresh has little to no impact on your final price. Some people just want the phone for AT&T w/o the contract.

2. Offer free shipping

3. Insurance has to be included with signature confirmation. Paypals policy on items in this price range require it for you to have protection as a seller.

4. Take a video of the phone in working order and show front and back in the light and put on YouTube and then post in your auction. The reason for this is because in my auctions I put the video, ins, signature confirm and said it was sold as is. I'm not responsible for what happens once ups receives it and if there is an insurance claim it is your responsibility to take care of it. The phone is in good working order and I will not offer refunds under any circumstances.

I know it seems like a lot but you need to protect yourself since you are going the eBay route because alot of scams are run with iPhone/eBay.

Good Luck

check out my completed auctions under wingsbr (eBay ID) if you need the verbiage.

nateharr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
I've sold iPhone 3G in eBay a couple of months ago and I'm a powerseller so I'll give you some tips.

1. JB/unlock vs. Factory Fresh has little to no impact on your final price. Some people just want the phone for AT&T w/o the contract.

2. Offer free shipping

3. Insurance has to be included with signature confirmation. Paypals policy on items in this price range require it for you to have protection as a seller.

4. Take a video of the phone in working order and show front and back in the light and put on YouTube and then post in your auction. The reason for this is because in my auctions I put the video, ins, signature confirm and said it was sold as is. I'm not responsible for what happens once ups receives it and if there is an insurance claim it is your responsibility to take care of it. The phone is in good working order and I will not offer refunds under any circumstances.

I know it seems like a lot but you need to protect yourself since you are going the eBay route because alot of scams are run with iPhone/eBay.

Good Luck

check out my completed auctions under wingsbr (eBay ID) if you need the verbiage.

Thanks so much!

I can't view completed listings however because it's on my dad's account and he's busy.

Approximately how much could I expect to sell it for. It's a black, 32GB iPhone 3GS. It's used and has scuffs, but is in very respectable/good condition.

Tonight, I'm going to cancel my plan, restore it, and take video. (Hopefully list it soon.)

Thank you so much for you guys' help.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.

2. Offer free shipping

Good Luck

I would add that the OP should limit the buyers to ones that have had a certain number of buys (I forget the verbiage, since I'll probably never use eBay to sell something). All we see on here is all the complaints about Nigerian buyers running their scam, among other scammers.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Actually ONLY the SHIPPER can file UPS insurance claims. The recipient cannot. The shipper is the one with the proof of insurance etc. The buyer needs to cooperate with UPS inspection but can't start the claim. It's also the SHIPPER who gets the check if it is approved.

I'm not responsible for what happens once ups receives it and if there is an insurance claim it is your responsibility to take care of it.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Actually ONLY the SHIPPER can file UPS insurance claims. The recipient cannot. The shipper is the one with the proof of insurance etc. The buyer needs to cooperate with UPS inspection but can't start the claim. It's also the SHIPPER who gets the check if it is approved.

Good to know, I had no idea about this.

Vster

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
Celina, TX
Thanks wingsabr, great tips. I've been holding on to two 2G iPhones for over a year since I'm afraid to eBay them, but not anymore!

nateharr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
I would like to thank you all so much. Seriously.

I am proud to say that my iPhone sold to a nice gentleman in New York for $650 with free shipping. I've net about $600 of this but I'm ecstatic.

Since I can't ship on Labor Day I have an entire day to cancel my data plan, restore the iPhone, jailbreak, and unlock it.

I feel a little dirty doing this. I've always been faithful to Apple's policies, but I'll get over it.

All the money is going to a new MacBook Pro. (It will be my first Mac....*squeals girlishly*)

Once again, thank you all.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
if you out it up on CL

for $650 cash local pick up only I bet you will get a buyer pretty quick. do a fresh as new and you I give them a choice on the JB unlocking some don't want it so give the a choice. Local pick up only and cash only, yes you will still get scammers my son needs one for his birthday I will send you a cashiers check for $1000 and have somebody pick it up yada yada yada. don't even reply to these delete but somebody will probably by it for $650 or $700 fairly quick local this way you avoid auction hassles, Ebay fee's and Pay Pal Fees and avoid shipping hassles. if you do sell Ebay make sure you require insurance it's really going to protect you. tracking sign delivery

never mind totally missed your last post lol glad it sold to a nice guy.

nateharr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Preparing an iPhone for Shipment (After Selling on eBay)

How do I go about canceling the data plan?

I want to keep my SIM and my phone number, just ship the phone safely.

Also, will restoring in iTunes completely remove my information from the phone?

The buyer also wants the phone jailbroken and unlocked. I am running 3.01 firmware. Is it possible?

Thanks for all your help.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
First of all if the phone was not advertised as being unlocked and jailbroken then I seriously suggest you do not attempt to do it yourself. Unless I had experience doing this to my phone I would not sell it and agree to do this post sale. It sounds as though the buyer purchased the phone then had a list of demands that he/she wanted to be met.

Next, as far as the data, I would do the security wipe first then restore to factory settings in iTunes. That's probably the best you're going to get. Remove your sim and all will be well. That is what I did with my original iPhone.

The next thing you do is take time/date stamped photos from every angle possible on the phone, box included. Then pack it, take a photo of it packed, then another of the box being sealed. The reason for the paranoia is that you could very well ship off a mint phone and then find PayPal has removed funds from your account because the buyer is asserting that they received the phone damaged. While the photos may not help you, they certainly cannot hurt your case.

Finally, to cancel your data plan you simply need to call your carrier. Do this before you wipe your phone and pack it up.

nateharr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
First of all if the phone was not advertised as being unlocked and jailbroken then I seriously suggest you do not attempt to do it yourself. Unless I had experience doing this to my phone I would not sell it and agree to do this post sale. It sounds as though the buyer purchased the phone then had a list of demands that he/she wanted to be met.

Next, as far as the data, I would do the security wipe first then restore to factory settings in iTunes. That's probably the best you're going to get. Remove your sim and all will be well. That is what I did with my original iPhone.

The next thing you do is take time/date stamped photos from every angle possible on the phone, box included. Then pack it, take a photo of it packed, then another of the box being sealed. The reason for the paranoia is that you could very well ship off a mint phone and then find PayPal has removed funds from your account because the buyer is asserting that they received the phone damaged. While the photos may not help you, they certainly cannot hurt your case.

Finally, to cancel your data plan you simply need to call your carrier. Do this before you wipe your phone and pack it up.

Thank you so much!

So is it easy to cancel with AT&T?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'd venture to guess that dialing their number and speaking to them is rather easy. ;)

nateharr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
I'd venture to guess that dialing their number and speaking to them is rather easy. ;)

Ok. I just didn't know if they had special rules or contract stipulations that would prevent it from getting canceled.

nateharr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Canceling Data Plan on AT&T

Ok, I've asked this question before, but I need specifics.

My dad is getting frustrated trying to cancel my iPhone's data plan online. Where exactly do we go to do this? We're looking at the AT&T page and we can get my my phone and what-not, we just don't know where to go to alter the plan.

Please only answer if you've done this before with AT&T.

Thanks

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
You can't cancel the 3G/3GS' data plan.

It only (sometimes) works on the first gen. The minimum plan that you can get with the iPhone 3G/3GS is $70. ($40 for the 400 minutes, $30 for data, plus taxes, government charges, activation fees, etc)

IronLogik

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
You can't do it on the website. You'll need to call.

Next, I don't think you can do it at all on a 3G/3GS. I've only ever heard of it being done on the old 2G first gen iphone.

Good luck though.

Edit: beat to the punch.

nateharr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
I've been on a family plan for sometime now. We added $30 a month data for the 3GS and I kept my number. My minutes and text are separate. I know that.

So how do I go about canceling just the data?

I didn't sign up for a $70 a month plan.

IronLogik

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
I've been on a family plan for sometime now. We added $30 a month data for the 3GS and I kept my number. My minutes and text are separate. I know that.

So how do I go about canceling just the data?

I didn't sign up for a $70 a month plan.

AT&T, as part of the contract, requires an iPhone data plan for any iphone. Only way you can get rid of it is to basically get a new phone that isn't an iPhone. You can again, call as suggested a few times now, and see what they can do for you. You can't do it online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.