Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 443
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 167
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 238
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 708

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
Meh. That celebration was the equivalent of a player celebrating hitting a solo HR when his team is down 10 runs and thinking he did something amazing. Completely unneeded and it shows up the opponent.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Meh. That celebration was the equivalent of a player celebrating hitting a solo HR when his team is down 10 runs and thinking he did something amazing. Completely unneeded and it shows up the opponent.

No, it's the equivalent of a player hitting a game winning HR in the bottom of the 12th inning and getting to show camaraderie with his teammates by doing a fun celebration. Lighten up.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
No, it's the equivalent of a player hitting a game winning HR in the bottom of the 12th inning and getting to show camaraderie with his teammates by doing a fun celebration. Lighten up.

Agreed. And it really helped the Rockies!:D

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Wow! I hope your not involved in sports or you wouldn't be able to handle any of it!

For some reason the highlight was on the Giants site. I don't know why. I didn't put the link there, MLB.com did!

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
that was one of the most boring walk offs ive seen. and why was that place so quiet?

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
that was one of the most boring walk offs ive seen. and why was that place so quiet?

Umm, maybe because Milwaukee is out of the race and has been for some time now. Im not a Brewers fan. I just happened to catch this highlight. The home run wasn't real exciting. And the call wasn't that great either. But the celebration was great and exciting. How could that be boring?!

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008

Not to start a big argument, but I couldn't disagree more. This doesn't build camaraderie - this is poor sportsmanship, and basically pretty insulting to the opponent. Sports, especially baseball, is about more than showboating, pre rehearsed celebrations, and personal gloating. Do you think you would have seen Mickey Mantle, Shoeless Joe, etc ever pull this cr@p? I mean, even for Prince... the best way to "showboat" would be to act like you have done this before, not act like its once in lifetime.

College football is better than NFL for this among other reasons. I would hate to see baseball go this way too. Reminds me of that movie "Basketball." There was a lot of truth to that opening 10 minutes or so.

I hope this is the last we see of this garbage. Baseball has had a rough enough few years as it is...

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
There are times for big celebrations and this wasn't one of them. He helped his team get to 14 games back...they are really going places now.

Just go about your business and respect the game and players; current, past, and future.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
He was having fun. Some people tell me sports are supposed to be fun and entertaining. He wasn't insulting anyone, he wasn't running his mouth, and he wasn't cheating.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
If this was just a home run during the game I would agree with the poor sportsmanship comments, but it was the game winner. All teams have some sort of celebration when they win, and this one most definitely wasn't taunting the other team. Let them have their fun.

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
If this was just a home run during the game I would agree with the poor sportsmanship comments, but it was the game winner. All teams have some sort of celebration when they win, and this one most definitely wasn't taunting the other team. Let them have their fun.

Agreed!

In little league they celebrate EVERY HOME RUN regardless of the inning!

Why can't you celebrate in MLB? They are just having fun. Any Anaheim Angels fans here? When Francisco Rodriguez was on that team, he celebrated each save like it was Game 7. 40 to 60 celebrations a year, just for a regular season save!

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
He was having fun. He wasn't insulting anyone, he wasn't running his mouth, and he wasn't cheating.

He didn't even know the team was going to do that. They cooked it up while he was on deck and/or batting. He had very little to say about it to reporters afterwards. In fact, no one did. The team (as a whole) would not come out of the clubhouse for post-game interviews. They wanted to see the celebration replayed over and over. Fox Sports Wisconsin was happy to oblige.

I agree with those saying they were just enjoying the moment. Yeah, it's of no consequence in any kind of race, but it was a long, extra inning game, and they won with a walk-off. That's exciting in and of itself. But, the game announcer raised the possibility that the guys in the other dugout might not take too kindly to the display. I guess we'll find out next year, when the two teams play again.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
That celebration was a pretty egregious showing-up of the Giants. There are some pretty arcane codes of conduct on the field that, while probably not as strict as they were 20-30 years ago, do linger on. That crap may fly in the NFL, but I think most players don't want to see it in MLB.

I expect the Giants will not forget this incident. Some Brewers shouldn't be surprised to take some pitches in the ribs next season.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.