Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
New York
Will you be able to play games on this version? And what are some new features that will be included? Anyone have a good article i could check out?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
There isn't much available yet - M$ has been fairly vague. Games - very unlikely. The most noticeable improvement is that the computer's video card will be utilized more than before.

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
Well, it's supposed to have native graphics card support, enabling you to play PC games on your Mac. It's also supposed to be noticeably faster and be able to run on the G5. And, it's supposed to be released in the second half of this year. They changed that from the first half of this year because it took longer to create than they thought.

I'm glad you started up this thread, and I hope it doesn't die soon. I really want VPC 7 so I'm hoping this will be a good place to start up the info/rumors.

Best wishes,
JOD8FY

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
New York
I'm really hoping it comes out this second half. It's a lot sooner then you think. It would be great if it takes more of an advantage of the video card. I didn't get the 128 for nothing.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
JzzTrump22 said:
I'm really hoping it comes out this second half. It's a lot sooner then you think. It would be great if it takes more of an advantage of the video card. I didn't get the 128 for nothing.
we're in the second half now!! :D

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
carletonmusic said:
we're in the second half now!! :D

Yea, it's too bad that the second half ranges from now until December! :D

I wish they'd provide more details about it. When they do, then we know it's just around the corner...

JOD8FY

zulgand04

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Northborough, MA
The reason they pushed back the date was so that could put XP s2 in without haveing to worry bout updateing it 3 months after it was released and makeing it easier for the user, XP is whats holding up VPC7, once thats out VPC7 will be out shortly after.

-Neal

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Microsoft Office 2004 at last I heard is due out his month. I was hoping the VPC 7 with be available with the Professional version as before. My preference would be for them to be released at the same time.

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
wdlove said:
Microsoft Office 2004 at last I heard is due out his month. I was hoping the VPC 7 with be available with the Professional version as before. My preference would be for them to be released at the same time.

Office 2004 has been out for a while. However, the Professional edition has not because it always includes VPC. Since there is no VPC 7 it is not available yet.

Microsoft said that the delay was caused because when they had set out to create VPC 7, they had expected that it would take as long to create as Office. They said that VPC requires much more time to debug than Office and therefore it caused a delay.

It would be great if it came out this month!

JOD8FY

johng723

macrumors member
May 31, 2004
California
wdlove said:

Actually several sites are already taking pre-orders for microsoft office 2004 professional which does come with virtual pc 7. They say that it ships at the end of september though so I guess we'll have to wait a little bit longer.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I'm not getting my hopes up too much about VPC7. You would think that Microsoft would be able to take advantage of their own OS, but history tells us that it will be bloated and full of bugs. Oh well.

m.r.m.

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Germany
i seriously doubt vp7 will let you play any game relying on frames per second. maybe you'll be able to enjoy age of empires or something like that, but not half-life 2 or doom 3.

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
m.r.m. said:
i seriously doubt vp7 will let you play any game relying on frames per second. maybe you'll be able to enjoy age of empires or something like that, but not half-life 2 or doom 3.

Maybe not, but I love Age of Empires - one of my favorite games, actually.

But if VPC 7 does have native graphics card support, then why wouldn't games run well on it? What other necessity is being emulated?

JOD8FY

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
Dr. Dastardly said:
Does anyone else think that this will debut at the Paris show?

That is a possibility. Actually, it just might.

I can see it now - "...and while we're on the subject of G5, (referring to G5 iMac) I am pleased to introduce Virtual PC 7 which is now compatible with any G5 powered Macintosh...."

This could be some show in Paris! :)

JOD8FY

P.S. - What do you think of my script, Steve? :D

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
JOD8FY said:
Maybe not, but I love Age of Empires - one of my favorite games, actually.

But if VPC 7 does have native graphics card support, then why wouldn't games run well on it? What other necessity is being emulated?

JOD8FY

DirectX?

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
BrianKonarsMac said:

Nope - rumor has it that because there is native graphics card support, it will not emulate DirectX, but rather run it as it does on a Windows machine.

So what else might not allow it to play intense games? :confused:

JOD8FY

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Half Life 2, no. Half Life, maybe.

m.r.m. said:

Even if the emulator is optimised for dual G5 processors and takes advantage of the graphics card, running the latest games would not be ideal. However games like the original Half Life could run with great frame-rates. Many PC budget titles would be worth running on VPC7 if it delivers the features we have been promised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.