Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

STC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 14, 2008
I upgraded my 2G to a 3GS last week. Totally love it, except one lil issue that I'm starting to notice.

Over 5 days of ownership of the 3GS. I've rebooted the phone 1x a day because 3G (Internet) stopped working, Safari hangs, app store hangs, anything that requires an internet connection hangs. I have to reboot for the 3G to work.

This happened a few times w/ the 2G one too (approx 1x every 3 weeks or so) where Edge stopped working and a reboot was needed. But w/ the 3GS this has happened MUCH more.

Is this somehing normal w/ 3G and 3GS?

specify

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
You could just turn on airplane mode and then turn it off, it does the same thing if you're just wanting to "renew" your signal.

Not that the problem is acceptable.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Is this somehing normal w/ 3G and 3GS?
When the 3G first came out (running iPhone 2.0), it had a lot of weird issues that were corrected over the following months as Apple rolled out more updates.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 3GS experience was similar, so here's hoping the next update helps out your phones problems! :)

xxshawnxx

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2008
San Diego, California
I have a 3GS and noticed this is happening to me for the last week or so. I've had perfect 3G coverage ever since I got this phone. But, over the last week, my phone goes from no '3G' to 'searching' to 'no service'. The fix is to turn the 3G off then on in settings, but that's unacceptable.

So, I'm thinking this might have something to do with AT&T messing around with the proposed 'upgrading' of their network in our areas--not sure though.

I'm going to call AT&T tomorrow and see what they say. Worst case scenario, I'll take the phone in to apple and get a replacement. At least that way, I can rule out a screwy phone...

STC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 14, 2008
I have a 3GS and noticed this is happening to me for the last week or so. I've had perfect 3G coverage ever since I got this phone. But, over the last week, my phone goes from no '3G' to 'searching' to 'no service'. The fix is to turn the 3G off then on in settings, but that's unacceptable.

So, I'm thinking this might have something to do with AT&T messing around with the proposed 'upgrading' of their network in our areas--not sure though.

I'm going to call AT&T tomorrow and see what they say. Worst case scenario, I'll take the phone in to apple and get a replacement. At least that way, I can rule out a screwy phone...

Pls let me know. If this is an issue, I'll try to get a replacement from Apple.

nehunte

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2009
As mentioned before, it could have something to do with the upgrades going on. However, I doubt it cause we haven't heard about widespread problems yet.

So, the first step would be to replace the sim card. Hit up your AT&T store for that. If you continue to have the problem, then get the phone replaced. If under 30 days, your AT&T store will swap it. If over 30 days, you need to make an appt. with a genius at the apple store.

xxshawnxx

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2008
San Diego, California
Pls let me know. If this is an issue, I'll try to get a replacement from Apple.

I called AT&T and told the rep about the issue I was having. He put me on 'silent' hold for 5 minutes and said they were not experiencing any network issues in my area and proceeded to tell me that it could be the phone. He did offer a $25 service credit so that put me in a better mood

Next step? Probly going to AT&T for a sim swap. Will post results once I get that done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.