Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johng723

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2004
California
Hi, I have 1 stick of a 512 mb in my powerbook g4 and I was thinking about upgrading by buying another stick of 512 from crucial. Is there really that much of a speed increase though? I'm still a little unsure if i should shell out the $120 if I won't be able to notice the speed increase.

gpark

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2004
johng723 said:
Hi, I have 1 stick of a 512 mb in my powerbook g4 and I was thinking about upgrading by buying another stick of 512 from crucial. Is there really that much of a speed increase though? I'm still a little unsure if i should shell out the $120 if I won't be able to notice the speed increase.

Even though I don't have a PB and do not know what would happen in general. I think unless you use demanding applications such as Final Cut, Shake, or other Hard Core 3D Games. Or if you like to open up a lot of windows. you won't be needing them. I find it very useful just to have 512MB and work on Photoshop CS and Illustrator CS at the same time.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
johng723 said:

I found a very noticeable increase in the time that apps load, and performance within many apps. My powerbook is much happier now!

Miner Willy

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2004
Bradford, UK
1 gig query

I have a powerbook and upgraded it to 1 gig and the difference is quite noticable, it doesn't hit the scratchdisks half as much which can only be a good thing. :)

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
johng723 said:

you might want to try a program called...do i need more ram... im not sure but i would think that you could download it from version tracker....

you jusr need to runn it in the back ground for a few hourse of normal use and it will tell you when and how much ram you need...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.