Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Sep 7, 2009, 02:59 PM   #1
godslabrat
macrumors 6502

Can't see iPhone as disk?

Hi all. I've checked the FAQs and sticky threads, but I can't find an answer to this. Sorry if it's been posted before.

Why is it when I dock my iPhone (3GS), I can't see it as a 16GB disk? Every other iPod-family device I've had would let you treat it as an external hard drive. I like the idea of being able to snap pictures and videos and move them right into my mac for editing. I thought this would be possible, because last year my friend loaned me his older iPhone, and all I had to do to get the pictures was plug in a USB cable and transfer them to my PC.

What's the deal here? Why can I do this on an older iPhone, but not my 3GS? And why would Apple not offer a feature that's been a selling point for the iPod line since day 1? Or, am I just doing it wrong? (not impossible)
godslabrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 03:48 PM   #2
randyc
macrumors member

As far as I know iPhones and iPod touches cannot be used as external disks. On a Mac you can use iPhoto to get pictures from your phone. On Windows I believe it should just detect it as a camera but I don't really know.

There are apps that can let you use your iPhone as a wifi storage device but you can't access any of the files outside of the app's folder it creates for you.
randyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 04:53 PM   #3
godslabrat
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc View Post
As far as I know iPhones and iPod touches cannot be used as external disks. On a Mac you can use iPhoto to get pictures from your phone. On Windows I believe it should just detect it as a camera but I don't really know.

There are apps that can let you use your iPhone as a wifi storage device but you can't access any of the files outside of the app's folder it creates for you.
I can live with that, but how can I import the video files? iMovie? I plan on using the iPhone as a quick-and-dirty video podcast recorder.
godslabrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 05:19 PM   #4
bytethese
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by godslabrat View Post
Hi all. I've checked the FAQs and sticky threads, but I can't find an answer to this. Sorry if it's been posted before.

Why is it when I dock my iPhone (3GS), I can't see it as a 16GB disk? Every other iPod-family device I've had would let you treat it as an external hard drive. I like the idea of being able to snap pictures and videos and move them right into my mac for editing. I thought this would be possible, because last year my friend loaned me his older iPhone, and all I had to do to get the pictures was plug in a USB cable and transfer them to my PC.

What's the deal here? Why can I do this on an older iPhone, but not my 3GS? And why would Apple not offer a feature that's been a selling point for the iPod line since day 1? Or, am I just doing it wrong? (not impossible)
Quote:
Originally Posted by godslabrat View Post
I can live with that, but how can I import the video files? iMovie? I plan on using the iPhone as a quick-and-dirty video podcast recorder.
Unfortunately the iPhone was never able to be used as an external disk by default. You can use tools like Diskaid, etc to do what you want.

As for importing movies from my 3gs, I use iPhoto just like for pics.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting