Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jul 3, 2004, 05:09 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Mozilla takes advantage of recent IE security holes

Category: Microsoft
Link: Mozilla takes advantage of recent IE security holes
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jul 3, 2004, 09:16 PM   #2
awulf
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to awulf Send a message via AIM to awulf Send a message via Yahoo to awulf Send a message via Skype™ to awulf
I recommend that all IE users on Windows switch to Mozilla FireFox. I gave the advice to two clients and the one I heard back from really loves FireFox and can't believe how inferior IE is.
awulf is offline   0
Old Jul 3, 2004, 10:50 PM   #3
michaelrjohnson
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to michaelrjohnson
I agree with the above member's suggestion. I use Firefox at work, and it has to be my favorite browser for the PC, hands down. Just try it, you can always switch back... but you won't.
Old Jul 3, 2004, 11:12 PM   #4
Nermal

And unlike switching to a Mac, you can switch to Firefox for free

Hmm, I wonder what would happen if Apple were to make an OS X "live CD" for x86? In other words, a bootable CD containing the OS and a few apps, but it would not be possible to install the OS onto a hard drive or install additional applications. It would let Windows users try out the OS though, without spending a cent
Nermal is offline   0
Old Jul 4, 2004, 11:54 AM   #5
noverflow
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal
And unlike switching to a Mac, you can switch to Firefox for free

Hmm, I wonder what would happen if Apple were to make an OS X "live CD" for x86? In other words, a bootable CD containing the OS and a few apps, but it would not be possible to install the OS onto a hard drive or install additional applications. It would let Windows users try out the OS though, without spending a cent
Linux PPC did that.
It was the slowest thing second to only cold molasses.
noverflow is offline   0
Old Jul 4, 2004, 11:15 PM   #6
Nermal

I see. But I'm sure Apple could do a better job than a no-name Linux distributor
Nermal is offline   0
Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:52 AM   #7
shamino
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal
Nice idea, but why would any company go through all of the trouble to port a system like OS X to a new platform if they have no intention of actually selling anything for that platform.

If you can only run the few bundled apps, you can get the same effect with a Shockwave applet - you won't have to port the OS and you won't have to worry about hackers figuring out how to bypass your no-install security restrictions.
shamino is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion