Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Back in the day when I had orange iBooks & Titanium PowerBooks, people would stop and ask ,"is that a mac? how is it?" but since the Intel Switch and 10.4 OS, Macs were familiar to people to the point of normality and an apple store on every corner means that everyone has at least tried a macbook pro.

Then I bought a MacBook air. Here in San Francisco I work every day out of a coffee shop and everyone has a black keyboard Macbook w/ glass screen (13-17") and it was the norm.

Every since I got a MacBook Air that envy is back and I've probably sold a few of them with my enthusiasm and after people try one and actually launch apps, do a google search and watch it boot (SSD Installed) people that dismissed the air were suddenly converts.

It's funny because I haven't felt that feeling of "switching people" for a very long time but now I feel like it's the good ole days and I'm showing someone how a USB printer just works & the beauty of iPhoto.

In my opinion, if I call sell more MacBook Airs, good because the more sales , mean more improvements and speed bumps and the last thing I want is the air to be discontinued :(

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I think about 90% of the people that are convinced they NEED a MacBook Pro would be far happier with an Air if they tried it.

The problem is the "MORE POWER" mentality. Even though they never use more than 2 GB of RAM, they're convinced they need more power than the MBA could provide.

I believe the newest MBA would probably be 5x more popular if it had a 4 GB RAM option...

I am willing to pay the money for RAM and money for 256 GB SSD, I just wish they would give us the options no matter how much it costs. I would pay an extra $2k for 256 GB SSD and 8 GB of RAM.

Again, there's the NEED MORE POWER mentality... although I am so happy with my MBA I would pay more than double to have the power if it were available... LMAO

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2009
MA
I think about 90% of the people that are convinced they NEED a MacBook Pro would be far happier with an Air if they tried it.

The problem is the "MORE POWER" mentality. Even though they never use more than 2 GB of RAM, they're convinced they need more power than the MBA could provide.

I believe the newest MBA would probably be 5x more popular if it had a 4 GB RAM option...

I am willing to pay the money for RAM and money for 256 GB SSD, I just wish they would give us the options no matter how much it costs. I would pay an extra $2k for 256 GB SSD and 8 GB of RAM.

Again, there's the NEED MORE POWER mentality... although I am so happy with my MBA I would pay more than double to have the power if it were available... LMAO

I think it also has to do with the longevity of the machine especially with 2GB of ram. I need a machine that can last 4 years. Will a MBA still be pretty quick in 4 years...probably. But I like knowing the fact that I can upgrade my ram. (I also like the glossy screen, but that's beside the point)

weerez1214

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2009
So I should want to pay MORE for a SMALLER and SLOWER computer?

Turns out the Macbook and Macbook Pro can also fit in a manila envelope, so the Air really doesn't have any higher ground on the less expensive offerings from Apple.

I've thought the Macbook Air was a stupid idea from Day 1. They want you to pay more for a worse product just because it's thin.

ktowe

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
I bought 2.13 MBA SSD to replace my late 2008 15"MBP. I used it for a week before I returned it. No doubt it was powerful and fast enough for everything I did. I loved the lightweight and the size. It was so easy to carry around. The only thing that really got me was the screen that was a little too small for my old eyes. :(:(:(:(:(

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
So I should want to pay MORE for a SMALLER and SLOWER computer?

Turns out the Macbook and Macbook Pro can also fit in a manila envelope, so the Air really doesn't have any higher ground on the less expensive offerings from Apple.

I've thought the Macbook Air was a stupid idea from Day 1. They want you to pay more for a worse product just because it's thin.

I don't know about you, but I can tell the different between carrying a pound or two (half or kilo); it's really matters when you just don't have space for a thicker computer or sometimes you want something lighter and you appreciate that lightness.

I thought the MacBook Air was stupid from day 1 as well, but ever since getting one, that's changed. Of course I do stand by my belief that the Air is a proper secondary computer, something to supplement an already powerful desktop computer.

And you can't really compare the MacBook Air to the MacBook; they are not in the same target market; if you need to do these comparison, it would be with something like a Lenovo X301 or something (the X301 is better than the Air BTW).

madoka

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002

I believe the newest MBA would be 1x more popular if it had a 4 GB RAM option. It would be 5x more popular if the price were dropped another $700. :p

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
I believe the newest MBA would be 1x more popular if it had a 4 GB RAM option. It would be 5x more popular if the price were dropped another $700. :p

Yeah. a price drop is the only thing I can imagine that would hit people but Apple's refurb site has a 1.86Ghz MacBook Air w/ SSD for around $1300 which is near what the 13" Macbook Pro costs.

I'm not saying they're comparable but as far as "needs" and "wants" the MBA is a "needs" machine for most users.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
I think it also has to do with the longevity of the machine especially with 2GB of ram. I need a machine that can last 4 years. Will a MBA still be pretty quick in 4 years...probably. But I like knowing the fact that I can upgrade my ram. (I also like the glossy screen, but that's beside the point)

Four years for a laptop?

I'd like to put this in perspective just so I heard you correctly.

Exactly 4 years ago today, Apple's Fastest Notebook was a 1.67 Ghz SINGLE PROCESSOR G4 PowerBook. It was running Mac OSX 10.3 (panther) and only had 128Mbs of video ram w/ an 80GB hard drive.

Now that machine is 4 years ago today an was discontinued in January of 2006 when the MacBook Pro was released. I can't image owning a computer that long.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Four years for a laptop?

Exactly 4 years ago today, Apple's Fastest Notebook was a 1.67 Ghz SINGLE PROCESSOR G4 PowerBook. It was running Mac OSX 10.3 (panther) and only had 128Mbs of video ram w/ an 80GB hard drive.

Now that machine is 4 years ago today an was discontinued in January of 2006 when the MacBook Pro was released. I can't image owning a computer that long.

OS X Tiger (10.4) actually.

And yes, for most of the population that computer would be fine today.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
OS X Tiger (10.4) actually.

And yes, for most of the population that computer would be fine today.

sorry I was going off data within MacTracker (http://mactracker.dreamhosters.com/)

I've used a PowerBook G4 1.5 that my girlfriend just got rid up about 10 months ago. It was insanely slow after I've done everything I could to optimize the speed. I disagree that it's a computer that most of the population would be fine with a computer at that speed.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.

Can't imagine why, I've a 6 year old PowerMac G5 that's still going strong; and my MBP is 3.5 years old and going strong running 10.5 & XP through Parallels for Flash & Xcode development (along with a little gaming at night).

Mac laptops last pretty well actually. (The batteries and power supplies that come with them are a different story..)

itou

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Four years for a laptop?

i actually own that laptop and it's still running perfectly fine.
the 17" screen i got is still bright, everything still works, and it's definitely better made than the apple laptops i use today. i also have a rev. a mba and it works like a charm.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I don't know about you, but I can tell the different between carrying a pound or two (half or kilo); it's really matters when you just don't have space for a thicker computer or sometimes you want something lighter and you appreciate that lightness.

I thought the MacBook Air was stupid from day 1 as well, but ever since getting one, that's changed. Of course I do stand by my belief that the Air is a proper secondary computer, something to supplement an already powerful desktop computer.

And you can't really compare the MacBook Air to the MacBook; they are not in the same target market; if you need to do these comparison, it would be with something like a Lenovo X301 or something (the X301 is better than the Air BTW).

No way, the Lenovo X301 still is limping around with a higher price tag, integrated graphics (far inferior to the NVIDIA 9400M), weaker/lower clocked processor and a tiny 64GB SSD. I can buy the MBA SSD for $100 less than the cheapest Lenovo X301 and get a better CPU+GPU and twice as big SSD. Not to mention, the lower end X301 comes with Vista Home Basic.. while the MBA comes with SL. SL >>>>>> Vista.

Back on topic with the OP. I considered the MBA vs. MBP when I was purchasing my new Mac notebook this summer. I needed more power because this was going to be my only computer. I also do some medium/heavy video editing and lots of photoshop work so I decided to buy more power per dollar. The MBA is a luxury, yes but it's not practical in terms of power vs dollar. I also need the 15" display of a MBP because I want to relieve some stress on my eyes and 15" MBP displays are better in terms of color gamut, screen real estate than a 13".

For some, the 13" is awesome and really suits them well, like one of my friends. She has the Rev. C MBA but she doesn't do the stuff I do on a computer, mainly video editing and photoshop work. For her, it's the best fit because she's a girl (they care about fashion and sexyness) and doesn't want to carry a big computer around, and she thinks it looks cute (idk).

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
the 17" screen i got is still bright, everything still works, and it's definitely better made than the apple laptops i use today. i also have a rev. a mba and it works like a charm.

Maybe I'm just being shortsighted or Spoiled about getting a new Mac every 6 months.

It's painful to go back to the old machines and sorry to be so insulting about it.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Four years for a laptop?

My cousin has that same laptop, it is a tank and he just replaced it with a new MBP yesterday. That thing has been dropped off the couch twice and the frame bent back, the HDD was upgraded and some RAM added and it lasted him a little over 4 years. It still works well BTW. A mac honestly seems like one of the only computers that can stand the test of time.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Four years for a laptop?

Almost 4 years ago I bought a 1.33Ghz SINGLE PROCESSOR G4 iBook with a 40GB hard drive.

Oh how I suffer :rolleyes:

It still does everything I need it to.

It also gets attention but only because people are confused by the Macbook that's not a Macbook :eek:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
No way, the Lenovo X301 still is limping around with a higher price tag, integrated graphics (far inferior to the NVIDIA 9400M), weaker/lower clocked processor and a tiny 64GB SSD. I can buy the MBA SSD for $100 less than the cheapest Lenovo X301 and get a better CPU+GPU and twice as big SSD. Not to mention, the lower end X301 comes with Vista Home Basic.. while the MBA comes with SL. SL >>>>>> Vista.

Well I was making my own comparisons; I can have my own preferences right? I was just making my point that you can't compare the MacBook Air to the MacBook seeing they are not the same target market.

As with prices if you can get enough promos and discounts together you can get a lower price on the X301.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Four years for a laptop?

Yes, why not? I bought my Powerbook when I registered here and I only just replaced it in December last year (with a 13" unibody Macbook). It got the job done. At one point I had to edit a HD video on it and had no problems (except the very long render and conversion time).
This was addressed in the second post-

The problem is the "MORE POWER" mentality.

Browsing, Photoshop, SD video editing, email, writing, drawing (with a tablet) I had no problem using a Powerbook for that long.

I'd go for an Air if it was a more capable machine. I know the niche it's filling but I need a portable DVD player, I need at least 2 USB ports, I need stereo sound, I need a more capable graphics card. I know the Air can do most of that with further accessories, but ontop of the Airs already high price it's a no go which smashes any envy I could have had. :eek:

mackhydr4

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2009

I second this. I kept my Pismo (w/ Panther) around until early this year. Of course, all I could with it was basic surfing tasks.

I sold it for $100 shipped. Someone in Hawaii is very happy with it now.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
(the X301 is better than the Air BTW).

Pardon ??? I had an x301 and returned it fast .... by spec's on paper is that how you mean it's 'better? If you can get past the horrible screen and bad keyboard you will find it doesn't do many if any tasks faster or better, the fan screams on it too when you push it just a little ... the x301 is the best though ... at illustrating the shortcuts and lower quality product that Lenovo is now producing .... the x301 for me was a huge disappointment and waste of money ...

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I would LOVE the air. Its perfect for what I use a laptop for.

Unfortunately due to a weird work situation I must get the Macbook Pro as it'll be my main machine not an additional machine :'(

Deppe

macrumors member
May 20, 2009
I have both an Air and a MBP 13"!
Got the MBP first and it is brilliant but I am a sucker for design so when I got a good offer on a Rev B Air with SSD i bought it.

I think Scottsdale are right when he say's that people are power-focused. I know it from my self. I study business and law and therefore no need for video/picture editing what so ever, and the 2 GB of ram in my MBP is doing all I need smoothly. Still, it was hard to decide wether to go with the 13" or the 15" since the 15" had 4 gb ram, and a bigger hdd and so on - well knowing that 2 GB of ram would do all I need.

Therefore, both the Air and the MBP are perfect machines for me - I need to surf the web in order to pic up assignments and notes from classes and I need Office to take same notes myself. So for everyone not being in the design/creative business I think the Air would be just a good a match as the MBP, it just comes down to preferences.

mackhydr4

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2009
I have both an Air and a MBP 13"!
Got the MBP first and it is brilliant but I am a sucker for design so when I got a good offer on a Rev B Air with SSD i bought it.

I think Scottsdale are right when he say's that people are power-focused. I know it from my self. I study business and law and therefore no need for video/picture editing what so ever, and the 2 GB of ram in my MBP is doing all I need smoothly. Still, it was hard to decide wether to go with the 13" or the 15" since the 15" had 4 gb ram, and a bigger hdd and so on - well knowing that 2 GB of ram would do all I need.

Therefore, both the Air and the MBP are perfect machines for me - I need to surf the web in order to pic up assignments and notes from classes and I need Office to take same notes myself. So for everyone not being in the design/creative business I think the Air would be just a good a match as the MBP, it just comes down to preferences.

But surely, it is woefully inadequate for playing You Tube HD <sarcasm>... Surely, Apple owes us <sarcasm> something...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.