Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxbhennigxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
first off I am just wanting to know if anyone out there has done this already...If so is it worth it or should I just stick with upgrading to 1GB.

I just got my eMac and i'm deciding to upgrade it slowly it is the 1.0 GHz Processor 60GB HD and 512 MB SDRAM.....i plan on putting in a wireless airport card, new RAM, CD/DVD superdrive, and a new HD...but first thing is the RAM.

So if anyone has any advice on this please let me know i am open to suggestions.

THANKS,
:apple:BRAD:apple:

xxbhennigxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
it is a PowerPC G4 but i dont know what year i know it takes SDRAM and not the DDRRAM if that helps

xxbhennigxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
SDRAM... blech.... 1GB will be your max, dude, and it will be expensive. Not really worth it, IMO. Have you looked into a used (intel) Mini or iMac?

EDIT: If indeed you do have a 1.0GHz eMac, here are your complete specs.

I didnt really do much lookin before i got this because i traded a guy in dallas an old used PSP for this eMac. I havent really looked in to the iMac and i dont really want a mini cause i dont want to have to buy all the monitor too.

But thanks for that link to the specs page that helps and will it really be that expensive...two 512MB RAM on ebay are only like 20 bucks or so.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I believe that starting with the USB 2.0 model, eMacs can take 2 GB of RAM. (though officially, only 1.) And if you have one of those model's, I'd do it if you have the money.

Best place to get it would be Crucial, IMO.

xxbhennigxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
I believe that starting with the USB 2.0 model, eMacs can take 2 GB of RAM. (though officially, only 1.) And if you have one of those model's, I'd do it if you have the money.

Best place to get it would be Crucial, IMO.

How would i know can i enter my serial number some where online and find out exactly which eMac i have...or is there a place on my computer that will tell me which eMac i have.....and this official 1GB RAM that apple says is the max, why? since they now have the technology to do it.

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
Go into About This Mac in the Apple menu, More Information, Graphics/Displays.

The original 1.0 GHz model has ATI 7500 graphics, the later USB 2.0 models have 9200.

Also plug in some USB stuff (iPod or iPhone, USB hub, etc) and see if any show up as USB High-Speed Bus or if the Speed entry is Up to 480 Mb/sec.

In addition the find the model number and report back (from case). Model Identifier too (from About This Mac). Everymac has the model id listed as "Machine Model"

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
two 512MB RAM on ebay are only like 20 bucks or so.

As mentioned before, Macs are picky with cheap SDRAM. Make sure it is listed as Mac-compatible, or go straight to OWC or the like. I recently paid around $20 for a 256MB stick of the same type for a 700MHz eMac.

BTW, eMacs are nice machines - just wanted to let you know what you were gettin' into before you spent the money. And to my knowledge, on an eMac there is NO WAY to add USB 2.0 if you don't have it. And 1.1 is almost unusable, except for keyboard/mouse/printer.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I still have a stick of 512mb pulled from one of my old G4 Macs laying around here. It has the chips on both sides(meaning low density & with Infineon chips). It's PNY brand. PM if you're interested.

xxbhennigxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
As mentioned before, Macs are picky with cheap SDRAM. Make sure it is listed as Mac-compatible, or go straight to OWC or the like. I recently paid around $20 for a 256MB stick of the same type for a 700MHz eMac.

BTW, eMacs are nice machines - just wanted to let you know what you were gettin' into before you spent the money. And to my knowledge, on an eMac there is NO WAY to add USB 2.0 if you don't have it. And 1.1 is almost unusable, except for keyboard/mouse/printer.

so what your telling me is that i have the 1.1 USB drives then it is not worth me upgrading i should look into getting a new "newer" mac

xxbhennigxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
ok so i just found out that i have the 1.1 usb should i even bother upgrading it now or should i just look into getting a new one?

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
1 GB is still usable. Heck, I run Leopard on my 1.4 GHz eMac and it only has 512 MB. It's a bit slow, but nothing serious. Yours would be great with Tiger and 1 GB.

eMacs are great, solid machines. As long as you're not trying to edit video or anything like that, it'll be a great little Mac. :)

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
ok so i just found out that i have the 1.1 usb should i even bother upgrading it now or should i just look into getting a new one?

i had that exact emac, and i upgraded to 1gig ram and it had 10.5 running with no problems, i ended up giving it to my roommate in college when i got an iMac in 2007 and he still uses it every day with no problems.... i wouldnt try photoshop or anything like that but for web browsing, email, iphoto, itunes its more than capable, and that CRT screen is beautiful...

you got yourself a great deal in that trade.

it does suck though that there is no USB 2.0 and the new ipods dont support firewire, but many external HDD's do if you wanted more storage without having to crack it open.

xxbhennigxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
ok thats good to know, if do upgrade my emac to 1GB ram would it help the lag that occoures when i type, and would it speed up my internet any, or does that solely depend on my internet connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.