New Mac user... How to save file as .txt - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Sep 8, 2009, 07:48 AM   #1
jasony0423
macrumors newbie

New Mac user... How to save file as .txt

Hi,
I just switched to Mac, so forgive me if this is a dumb question. I'm tweaking my resume and trying to get it submitted onto Monster, because I'm looking to get out of Ohio and move to another part of the country, call it a nomadic thing, if you will.
I'm having trouble uploading my resume, though. I'm in text editor, but it says the suffix will be .pages and Monster doesn't allow that. I know Macs are supposed to be quirky and all, but I would think there has to be a way to save documents in readily available formats.
I did a search, and all I found was something telling me format --> make plain text, but that doesn't work on mine, because there's no "make plain text" option. I have OSX 10.5.8
Thanks.
jasony0423 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:08 AM   #2
arjen92
macrumors 65816

.pages is a file that's normally coming with pages. It's part of the iWork set. So are you in pages or in Text editor. Cause text editor on my mac doesn't even allow a .pages. Only .rtf/.doc and html.

So in pages you should just do save as.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:16 AM   #3
ingenious
macrumors 65832

Send a message via AIM to ingenious Send a message via MSN to ingenious Send a message via Yahoo to ingenious Send a message via Skype™ to ingenious
It's not quirky; it's just the format for the application called "Pages," same as .doc is the format for a Word Document.

You can use Pages to Export your file as a Word document (.doc). If you needed to get it into .txt, TextEdit or Word could save the exported file as a plain text document.
ingenious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:20 AM   #4
germanix
macrumors member

When you write something in Text Editor or for that matter in the iWork Pages, you go to "File" on the top left hand corner of your screen (right next to Text Editor) and click on it. Then click on "safe as" and on this window you can choose the format you wish to save the document in. here you have the option to save the document as PDF or as Windows text etc etc.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:23 AM   #5
Peace
macrumors P6

Sounds like a Pages app being used. If that's the case and there are any sort of images or text fields they will all be lost when saved as a text document.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help