Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
Possibly listed in the Snow Leopard bugs thread, but I couldn't find it.

I use Comic Book Lover to read digital comics - these are .cbr and .cbz files, which are comic rar and zip archives, respectively. Pre-Snow Leopard, these were recognised by Comic Book Lover as Comic Book Lover files, complete with custom icons, icon previews, etc.

I also use .rar and .zip files for archiving.

When I installed Snow Leopard, it read all .cbr files as .rar files for Stuffit Expander, and .cbz as .zip files. I actually use UnRarX for rar file management, so using the Get Info box I changed all .rar files to use UnRarX, .cbr and .cbz to use Comic Book Lover, and .zip to use the standard Archive Utility.

Problem is Snow Leopard is not distinguishing between .rar and .zip and .cbr and .cbz. Once I've changed all .cbr and .cbz files to open with Comic Book Lover, all .rar and .zip files also get changed! Likewise if I set all .rar files to be opened with UnRarX, this changes all .cbr files!

Clearly Snow Leopard is handling file types in a new way. Is there anyway around this, or am I going to have to pick one file type affiliation that would be most useful (say .cbr and .cbz opened with Comic Book Lover), and live with having to right-click on a .rar or .zip file to say "Open with..." UnRarX or Archive Utility?

It's a real pain seeing as I deal with large numbers of these file types every day.

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
No one, huh?

It can't just be Comic Book Lover and .cbr/.cbz files. Snow Leopard must be handling file types in a new way if it sees a .cbr not as a Comic Book Rar Archive, but just as a Rar archive.

It must be doing this for other file types as well. Worked fine under Leopard.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
I had a simillar thing with files like this name.01 that's a rar file, but you can't set it to open all .0X with unrarx.

I don't remember it being like that in Leopard, I think both of our problems are bugs.

mgirg

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2008
I am having another I think related problem. In leopard when using quick look to look at .cbr and .cbz files you could view and read the comic, but in snow leopard it only seems to work with .cbz files, I cant view .cbr files in quick look.

Do you guys have the same problems?

Mike

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2008
im sure this is a bug that apple need to sort out since i had no problems with file types and apps used to open them in 10.5

10.6 i am having problems with .jpegs gifs pngs as they all decide to open up in photoshop cs4 which i use. but after a number of times changing it to preview it still opens in cs4

LordMelkor

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
I am having another I think related problem. In leopard when using quick look to look at .cbr and .cbz files you could view and read the comic, but in snow leopard it only seems to work with .cbz files, I cant view .cbr files in quick look.

Do you guys have the same problems?

Mike

I'm having this same issue. The unusual thing I found however, while digging around in various plist files, was that cbz, is not listed anywhere in Archive Utility.app's info.plist file. How does the OS know then that Archive Utility is able to open cbz archives??

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Apple did get rid of document creator codes in SL. See here. That might very well be the problem.

You might try the utility LaunchCodes and see if that works. It brings creator codes back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.