Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Sep 8, 2009, 04:36 PM   #1
g-boac
macrumors 6502

How long do undelivered text messages last?

Question - if I'm out of country and don't have phone service, what happens to my text messages? Are all of them queued for when I return home, or do undelivered text messages vaporize after a few days?

I've always noticed that when I return home from overseas travel, that I will have multiple voicemails waiting for me, even dating back a couple of weeks, but zero, or next to zero text messages. If any, I will have 1-2, all dated within a day or two of my return home.

Just wondering if undelivered messages disappear.

thanks!
Mark
g-boac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 04:40 PM   #2
fehhkk
macrumors 6502a

The SMSCs (Short Message Service Centers) have a database to store your texts. Often they get stored for up to 15 days.

Picture messages are stored for around 7 days.
fehhkk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 04:45 PM   #3
Rhalliwell1
macrumors 6502a

i think it will depend on your network provider. I don't understand why you don't have signal abroad?
Old Sep 9, 2009, 04:57 AM   #4
g-boac
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhalliwell1 View Post
i think it will depend on your network provider. I don't understand why you don't have signal abroad?
I leave my phone off primarily because I could not get any clarity from AT&T as to what all the charges are for using my phone (including text) internationally are. . .AND given that I get a second cell (from work) when I travel abroad, I just use the work cell.

Was just somewhat confused here because I generally get a high volume of text messages on a daily basis, but whenever coming back from overseas travel, seem to have disproportionally few waiting for me. . .and those that are, are always within a couple days of my return date. While voicemails, I have plenty of, and they are from throughout my duration of travel.

Mark
g-boac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 03:17 PM   #5
tonphilou
macrumors newbie

I've had the same experience than Mark (g-boac) for the text messages. Almost none, except a few, all dated from 1 to 3 days before returning from a trip. I can speak only for Verizon, even though I suspect the policies must be quite similar with the other providers, an agent confirmed to me that undelivered text messages are kept for 5 consecutive days before being deleted.
tonphilou is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting