Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roderick

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Ok so sometimes I like to watch HD movies on my Xbox from my external usb hard drive that is formatted HFS+. I heard that formatting with Snow Leopard frees up that extra bit of HD space so I thought i'd try it. Well it sure did free up the space - after the erase/reformat there was 249.4 GB out of 250 GB (normally after a reformat there's only 232 GB out of 250 GB). So I go to plug the usb hard drive in my xbox 360 and it didn't recognize it. WTF? So then I tried to reformat it back to HFS+ with Macdrive on Windows but it still isn't recognized by the xbox. Can anyone help me out?

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Snow Leopard most likely wouldn't free up any space on your external hard drive. I think mostly they cleaned up OS level files. Since it sounds like your external was only holding media it wouldn't have helped that I don't believe. The only reason your hard drive is displaying "more" space is the way OS X reports free disk space (there are thread on that if you're so inclined).

I don't know if Snow Leopard changed the implementation of HFS+ though. That might be the issue. If you can get the drive formatted FAT32 though that should work for sure on both systems.

roderick

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Yeah but there's a 4GB limit on FAT32 and I don't want that. The hard drive worked fine formatted as HFS+ before Snow Leopard screwed it up.

OK so i just tried another one of my drives that wasn't reformatted and it's not being recognized by the Xbox either.
Beginning to think that this is more xbox related now. Can anyone else check?

Dan73

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Well I can't help with the xbox since I dont have one but Snow Leopard doesn't make your hard drive magically bigger, it just changed how they are reported from base 2 (1024 bytes in KB) to base ten (1000 bytes in KB). In the end the hard drive has just as much space as before.

roderick

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Ok figured it out! The hard drive has to be partitioned "Apple partition map" in order to be recognized by the xbox. Kinda strange huh?

starbai

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2009
when i try to format the drive in snow leopard i only see options for GUID. how do you format it in Apple Partition Map?

I'm stuck. Please help! :)

wcktklwn

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
when i try to format the drive in snow leopard i only see options for GUID. how do you format it in Apple Partition Map?

I'm stuck. Please help! :)

What you need to do is Partition your drive using Disk Utility and you will see a options button. And under there you will see the Apple Partition Map.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.