Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sills

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
hello,

just wondering if my little Mac Classic is total toast or not.

it wont boot from the harddrive ( it used to ) and when i can boot from a disk, ( not teh origional system ones ) the harddrive doesnt show up.

i'm just trying to use this mac for fun and stuff, becuase i dont want to emualte it, i do have a emac g4 though.

thanks.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Check all the stupid basic stuff like the power and the IDE cable (or scsi cable depending on how old it is). Also zap your PRAM and, if it's newer than an iMac or Blue & White G3, the firmware. If you've never done it, hold command-option-p-r while booting and let it gong 4 times. Then hold command-option-o-f until you get a white screen with text. Type reset-nvram and hit enter. Then type reset-all and hit enter. The computer will reboot and may find your hard drive again. As strange as it sounds, sometimes a Mac will forget about it's startup volume.

If that fails then I'd suspect the hard drive is dead. See if you can use it in another Mac.

EDIT: I just reread your post--Mac Classic. Forget about Open Firmware or IDE. Try the PRAM and see where that gets you. Due to its age though, a dead hard drive is much more likely.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Look for a Disk Tools disk, then run Apple HD SC Setup and see whether it recognises the drive. If not, the drive's probably dead.

Sills

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
i think i'll check to see if the cables connected inside first.

what screwdriver is it? a torx 8 or soemthing?

i fi it a dead hd, i can get more ( hopefuly from a friend )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.