Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emiliano5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2009
Their is a weird noise coming from the top left of my macbook near the magsafe connector.

Its hard to describe the sound. Almost like a clicking, electrical, static, like noise. Sometimes it stops and then starts again. I don't know what it is.

I just noticed it today. It's not very loud. You can hear it when its very quiet, otherwise you have to put your ear next to it to hear it clearly.

Sorry if I sound like a nit picker, but its making me worry a little bit. It's my first mac and i love it a lot. Just want to know what could be causing it. Any info would be great and thanks in advance.

-Gracias

~ j ~

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2006
United Kingdum
Their is a weird noise coming from the top left of my macbook near the magsafe connector.

Its hard to describe the sound. Almost like a clicking, something spinning, like noise. Sometimes it stops and then starts again. I don't know what it is.

I just noticed it today. It's not very loud. You can hear it when its very quiet, otherwise you have to put your ear next to it to hear it clearly.

Sorry if I sound like a nit picker, but its making me worry a little bit. It's my first mac and i love it a lot. Just want to know what could be causing it. Any info would be great and thanks in advance.

-Gracias

i had a noise coming from the same area. it sounded like a a squealing, high pitched processor type noise. i also had a faulty battery [my 2nd in a row] which was holding virtually no charge at all.

over the course of a week both the noise from the magsafe area, and the battery, were getting worse - until one day the light on the magsafe [which had been flickering between green and red]
was not on and my macbook pro would not start. out of curiosity i looked at the power supply and there was a very nasty burn right through the cable close to the power brick.
this was definitely not like that a few days before.

i explained all this at the 'genius bar' and was pretty much assured a new battery and a new power supply would sort this out. anyway next day and i notice the noise is still there, intermittently [as before] but have noticed that it is usually when computer is put to sleep.

unfortunately my applecare has expired now and am afraid to leave it on sleep at the moment so i have to shut down on a night.

emiliano5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2009
the noise is getting worse :( , it's loud now

going to have to call applecare

neosferatu

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2009
the notorious LCD hiss strikes back?

(on newer MBP??)

try turning the brightness all the way up?

emiliano5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2009
Just to be cautious on the safety aspect, it may be wise to leave the MBP powered off and battery removed until it can be seen by Apple.

Good idea, Thank you. I normally leave my computer on sleep. I will turn it off now and unplug it as well.

electroshock

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
A few new questions:

1) If you disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the MBP but leave the battery in, do you continue to hear the weird noise?

2) If you keep the MagSafe power adapter connected to the MBP but remove the battery, do you continue to hear the weird noise?

emiliano5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2009
A few new questions:

1) If you disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the MBP but leave the battery in, do you continue to hear the weird noise?

2) If you keep the MagSafe power adapter connected to the MBP but remove the battery, do you continue to hear the weird noise?

1) Yes, I still hear the noise.

2) My computer is one of the newer models and it doesn't have the latch on the back to take the battery out.

electroshock

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
1) Yes, I still hear the noise.

2) My computer is one of the newer models and it doesn't have the latch on the back to take the battery out.

Ugh, I keep forgetting this is an unibody. Too used to the older laptops. :)

Even with that, the fact you hear the noise without the MagSafe plugged in does suggest it may not be related to that. Will be interesting to see if Apple finds something as the culprit.

emmas86

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2009
question

Hi emiliano5 I've recently started hearing the noise you were hearing and I was wondering did you sort anything out and find out what it was??

emiliano5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2009
Hi emiliano5 I've recently started hearing the noise you were hearing and I was wondering did you sort anything out and find out what it was??

Hi emmas86,
I have not sorted anything out yet. I've been trying just to ignore it. Since the computer is working fine besides that, I've been putting off calling applecare. Since I use my computer for work, I don't want to have to send it away to get fixed. Sorry I was not much help.

iPorFerLuis

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2009
Cantanhede, Portugal
well.. I have a 2 weeks old MBP 13" 2.26, at the beginning I didn't notice the sound cause It was used on noise areas, but at the beginning of this week I worked until late and in nicely silence of my living room I notice the famous sound.. it is like static or something like that..

the sound is very very very low, and to hear it I have to be very close or in a quiet area.. I don't know what to think..

My early 2006 MBP 15" 1.83 make's that noise too, it's way too loud comparing with the noise of the MBP 13" but until today it doesn't affect the performance of the MBP 15"..

is a fact I'm concerned about it (the new one), I have 30 days to change it if something goes bad.. I'm still thinking about it..

Thanks for read.. 'til the next time.

Meriana

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2009
Well, i have a uncommon noise since a few days as well. It don't hear it, if i'm on battery, only if hte magsafe connector is on... I suspect it may by a fan problem.

Anyway i'm going to see the Genius Bar later today.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Alright so just now this noise started coming out of my macbook pro. :( I restarted and its still making the noise. I don't know if its the fans though. Its like a drowned out ticking noise thats very fast, lol. Could this be the hardrive?

My macbook has been super sluggish lately, i dont know if that has anything to do with it. I haven't done anything with my macbook lately. Just using firefox and the mail app for the past few weeks (no time for anything else :( )

Anyway, the closest Apple store is about 2 hrs from me so Id need a whole day free to take it there which I'd really like to avoid.

nakago5000

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
i've managed to not notice it till now. this is the very reason i returned a 15" mbp 3 years ago, tho in this case the source may be different. It seems to be processor noise this time around. If I have several apps open, its very quiet, but very noticeable when i move the cursor around on the track pad. also looking at a picture of the logic board design, the location seems spot on. *sigh* lame.

JasonTeja

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2010
Hello, i have the same problem with my MBP 13'. Are there any progress for this problem? Thank you...

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Have a listen to the actual brick part of the magsafe charger. Mine was crackling and gradually got worse. I demanded a new one from Apple as it was clearly a safety hazard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.