Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supermac1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
When i try to turn on genius and upload my info to itunes, it keeps saying there is a connection problem with itunes. Anyone else having this problem?

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I didn't have that problem, but if everyone is trying to connect at the same time, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple's servers are overloaded.

supermac1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Ugh. I just tried it on my sisters computer and it worked quickly. Now i dont know what to do.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I have the same issue. I quit iTunes, restarted the Mac, went through the process of turning off the Genius and then turning it back on... I still get the message:

We could not complete your iTunes Store request.
The network connection was lost.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Found a Solution

I found a fix.

Quit iTunes, then Delete the iTunes Library Genius.itdb file in the parent iTunes folder.

When you go back into iTunes, follow the regular procedure to enable Genius and it works.

tylerscottd

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2006
I found a fix.

Quit iTunes, then Delete the iTunes Library Genius.itdb file in the parent iTunes folder.

When you go back into iTunes, follow the regular procedure to enable Genius and it works.

Just tried this, unfortunately still doesn’t seem to be working for me :confused:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Yeah, false alarm :(

What it did was allow iTunes to gather information about your library which delayed the error message for a while. The problem happens when iTunes tries to send the results to Apple.

I'm calling AppleCare in the morning to troubleshoot this.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Now I Fixed It!

Damn it! That was a tough cookie to crack!

Cookies!! Quit iTunes then go to your /user/library folder and move the Cookies folder to the desktop or delete it.

Turn on Genius. It works!

There must be some weird setting saved in cookies with an incorrect URL to send the info to Apple.

tylerscottd

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2006
Finally! It works

Although I noticed that if I had Safari open while I did this it didn’t seem to have an effect (might just be something with my Mac though)

pardthemonster

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2005

ricfactor

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2009
Don't blow away all your cookies

If you don't want to blow away all of your cookies, just open Safari's preferences, and under the Security tab click the Show Cookies button. Search iTune and remove that cookie. This worked for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.