Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsmccabe78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
greetings. old problem that i have read, but a different twist.

my problem: IBook G4 that recently on reboot is just sitting on the grey screen with the spinning icon as seen here:
macosx103-1-2.png

what i have done:
basically followed apple's tips here
1- booted into safe mode; no change
2- booted into safe mode with shift-command-v to watch the boot; and it just loops around and around; no change
3- reset the nvram/pram; no change
4- booted into single-user mode; ran "fsck -fy" and returned with no errors and "...OK" and rebooted; no change
5- would move on to using my boot disc, however, here is the difficulty- my cd player gave out a bit ago and never replaced it.

so any suggestions? put in a new cd drive? would it recognize it? bring it into the store?

i have searched around and haven't seen what to do in my kind of case.

thanks in advance.

-jsm

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Do you have an external DVD/CD drive? Almost every kind will work. You can use that to boot from your CD.

Do you have another Mac and a Firewire cable? You can use the optical drive in your other Mac to boot off of your disc, just hold down the "T" key on the other Mac to boot it into Target Disk Mode. Hold down the "Option" key when you boot your iBook and select the CD when it pops up on the list.

jsmccabe78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
thank you for the suggestions. i don't have either but am working on getting access to them. i originally was going to try to load the cd onto a usb stick and then run that in safe mode (something i have done in an analagous fashion with pcs), however, i read some people have difficulty with powerpc macs (not so with intels, i guess.) but this is definitely worth a shot.

thanks again.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Although it's not impossible, I've heard of some success booting PPC booting from USB thumbdrive/hard drive. There's an Open Firmware hack, just google "open firmware usb boot ppc". Good luck and be sure to let us know the results.

jsmccabe78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
success!

finally had some time to get a hold of my friend's computer and get to this...

i did what you suggested. worked like a charm. but before i did that i put my computer into target mode and was able to transfer all my files one last time onto a drive connected to the other computer.

only scary part was when i needed to put in disc 2 and i didn't know if my computer would read it but it did....everything went perfectly.

sweet....now onto updates and getting it back to up and running.

thanks for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.