Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:53 PM   #1
brian.kirby
macrumors newbie

Augmented reality?

Ok so 3.1 is out I am ready for some augmented reality past what the yelp easter egg has to offer. Anyone know of any applications that have this awesome feature in 3.1?
brian.kirby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:57 PM   #2
gr8tfly
macrumors 603

I'm not sure if this meets your qualification for "augmented reality", but GoSkyWatch uses the magnetometer to change the azimuth of their planetarium app. The upshot is the star display tracks where you are looking in the sky, realtime.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 11:01 PM   #3
jmann
macrumors 604

Location: On a bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
Send a message via Skype™ to jmann
It's technically "not allowed".
Old Sep 9, 2009, 11:03 PM   #4
brian.kirby
macrumors newbie

I thought once 3.1 came out apple was going to give developers something so they could make it happen? Correct me if I'm wrong but thats what I've heard. And no I'm not so worried about the star thing.
brian.kirby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2009, 11:32 PM   #5
iphones4evry1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.kirby View Post
I thought once 3.1 came out apple was going to give developers something so they could make it happen? Correct me if I'm wrong but thats what I've heard. And no I'm not so worried about the star thing.
Developers get their updates in the form of Developer Kits (software releases for developers that are the tools they use to develop apps).

Developers already have the technology for augmented reality with the 3GS. Augmented reality is software (the App) that uses the GPS, the compass, and the data in the App to display an image on the screen. Developers already have the technology for the 3GS. There have been Youtube videos of the demos. The reason we do not have it yet is because they are still improving the software technology. It will be released as soon as they finish and as soon as it comes in up line in the Apple App approval process.
iphones4evry1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone