Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brian.kirby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Ok so 3.1 is out I am ready for some augmented reality past what the yelp easter egg has to offer. Anyone know of any applications that have this awesome feature in 3.1?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I'm not sure if this meets your qualification for "augmented reality", but GoSkyWatch uses the magnetometer to change the azimuth of their planetarium app. The upshot is the star display tracks where you are looking in the sky, realtime.

brian.kirby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I thought once 3.1 came out apple was going to give developers something so they could make it happen? Correct me if I'm wrong but thats what I've heard. And no I'm not so worried about the star thing.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
I thought once 3.1 came out apple was going to give developers something so they could make it happen? Correct me if I'm wrong but thats what I've heard. And no I'm not so worried about the star thing.

Developers get their updates in the form of Developer Kits (software releases for developers that are the tools they use to develop apps).

Developers already have the technology for augmented reality with the 3GS. Augmented reality is software (the App) that uses the GPS, the compass, and the data in the App to display an image on the screen. Developers already have the technology for the 3GS. There have been Youtube videos of the demos. The reason we do not have it yet is because they are still improving the software technology. It will be released as soon as they finish and as soon as it comes in up line in the Apple App approval process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.