Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While many of the predictions for Wednesday's Apple Media event were spot on, one of the most prevalent rumors didn't come true. The new iPod touch did not get a camera. David Pogue interviewed Steve Jobs and asked him why they omitted a camera from the refresh:
Mr. Jobs reiterated what Phil Schiller, the marketing vice president, had said earlier in the onstage presentation: that Apple is really pitching the iPod Touch as a game machine these days. And to do that, you have to make it as inexpensive as possible.
Jobs explained that since marketing the iPod touch as a gaming machine, it's really taken off. Not adding new features such as a camera was seen as a way to drive the price down even further.

In further questioning, Jobs continued to downplay the importance of dedicated ebook readers and reported to Pogue that there shouldn't be any delays in new products due to Jobs' absence.
"There are some things that I'm focusing a lot of attention on right now -- to polish," he said. "No, I don't think we're going to miss a beat. We have some really good stuff coming up."
The interview concludes with Jobs reporting that he "feels great" and acknowledging that he needs to gain some weight and he'd been eating a lot of ice cream to accomplish that.

Article Link: Steve Jobs on iPod Touch, Future Products and Ice Cream

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
After today it feels like the Touch is in a rut between the Nano and it can't become a phoneless iPhone.

It's the gateway for the App Store but the price scaling from $199 for 8 GB to $299 for 32 GB is just bizarre. I'm sure the 16 GB refurbs are going to fly.

Barbie

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2009
ocean
ice cream is really good for weight, Im also eating it for my weight

wonder what flavor

barbie :)

O and A

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
New York City
I think its a mistake not to put a camera on there. But given that they have a 64gb model I can see the need to drive price down.

Jobs is clearly talking about the tablet and saying they are polishing it makes it seem like they are almost ready with it. January annoucment for sure IMO

Dan73

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
I'm glad that Jobs is back and feeling well. Because I hate to see anyone be sick.

Hope he has at least another 40 years in him :D

• Sad
Reactions: -DMN-

jlpoore89

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2009
Beaumont, Texas
I'm glad he feels great!!!! I'm hoping for a tablet as well..Could possibly have an October announcement like with the new unibodies last year, but January is usually Apple's time to announce BIG NEW products (iPhone, MacBook Air).

Can't wait for a tablet!! :D:apple::D

kymac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
portland
for the last several years they keep saying we've got some really good things coming up.

for the last several years i keep waiting. and waiting.

and waiting.

hafjzapoplexy

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
I think its a mistake not to put a camera on there. But given that they have a 64gb model I can see the need to drive price down.

Jobs is clearly talking about the tablet and saying they are polishing it makes it seem like they are almost ready with it. January annoucment for sure IMO

Hell yeah. It's a mistake . Imagine iPod touch. WiFi,Game and Camera + Mic . It could be the ultimate entertaiment system . I'm disappointed with apple but I still love apple . :D

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
for the last several years they keep saying we've got some really good things coming up.

for the last several years i keep waiting. and waiting.

and waiting.
The Nano today has probably been the most exciting thing for me since WWDC 2006.

leonstafford

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2007
Kyoto, Japan
between the lines===

polish, ice-cream.... definitely going to be an ice-cream scoop with built-in MP7 player...with pop-out extra liver.

was nice of him to say who gave him his new body parts, though I thought that was kind of confidential??

anyone know who this mystery donor is or which 3rd world country he had his "accident" in? Maybe Steve was tracking him by hacking into the traffic control grid of Mac Minis and timed the accident?

dergaderg

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2009
the best way to gain healthy weight

the best way to gain healthy weight is to eat 3 PBJ sandwiches and chocolate milk before you go to bed. your body cannot break it down and it goes to your muscles

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA

Jobs continued to downplay the importance of dedicated ebook readers and reported to Pogue that there shouldn't be any delays in new products due to Jobs' absence.
Quote:
"There are some things that I'm focusing a lot of attention on right now -- to polish," he said. "No, I don't think we're going to miss a beat. We have some really good stuff coming up."

Whether this be the iTablet or not, this is confirmation that there is definitely an entirely new device coming soon from Apple. And the downplaying of "dedicated" ebook readers may indicate the new device is a tablet that also has ebook-reading capability.

Or, maybe he has been working on the Apple iLiver and iPancreas.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Whether this be the iTablet or not, there is confirmation that there is definitely an entirely new device coming soon from Apple. And the downplaying of "dedicated" ebook readers may indicate the new device is a tablet that also has ebook-reading capability.

Not necessarily. Could just be some things that were in development that aren't mindblowing but he's helping push to being that or closer to it.

atropos

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2003
Ottawa, ON; Alhambra, CA
I think what Steve means is when the price of 64Gb drive is going down, then I will put the camera or sth extra on it...

I think those new product are a "transition" product, because the ipod nano's video camera is kinda weird thou, I think they can do more than that.

mackensteff

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2006
Tablet confirmed

There was really only a couple things from the presentation that stood out. Then in reading the interview it appeared again. So let's see if any one else caught on. Hint it has to do with the touch and it's relation to the app store. In all my time of following apple Steve has never been so forth coming with info. I just wish the reporter would have caught on and probed a little deeper.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
I think the updates today were pretty good, but this Touch camera thing is BS I think.

I think they had to have had some production problem like the rumors said. Price is BS, those camera modules cost like $2 and the nano is cheaper, so how does that argument work Steve? He is just giving a PR answer. Watch them refresh the touch in January after the holidays with a camera! Mark my words! Even if they really weren't planning to, the people are speaking right now and they will listen.

Also BS is that the nano can't shoot stills. And again I think Steve's answer that the video camera modules are really thin, but the still modules are not is total BS. You can't capture a frame from that video image? Come on! :rolleyes:

The iTunes update was great.

I am excited for, and expecting an Apple TV update very soon now to add QuickTime X and compatibility with the iTunes LPs and iTunes Extras Movies. I have been waiting for the movie extras ever since they even got movies! And it looks like some of them are also HD. Good bye DVDs :) Now take them all to 1080p and good bye BluRays! :D

P.S. I WONDER WHAT STEVE IS DEDICATING HIS TIME TO - TO POLISH??? Can we say TABLET!!! That has to be the most obvious statement he has ever made indirectly! :D The stars are all aligning. Everything him and Phil said today, and the updates/products, and new marketing of the Touch as the cheapest pocket computer entry into the App Store is beyond evidence that they are getting ready for it!

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
icecream eating for weight gain ftw
i'm happy steve is trying to put on a couple pounds
also hopefully they release the tablet soon

Ya, I'm happy he is back. I honestly didn't expect to see him till next year when they announce the tablet. But he really needs to gain weight. Hope he is able to soon!

Read my post above about the tablet! :)

bob_hearn

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2004
Vancouver, BC
So... a camera on the nano, but not on the iPod Touch? Huh?? It's one thing if there were technical delays, but Jobs makes it sound intentional and permanent.

I think I can speak for all photography-app developers in not being too thrilled with this decision. So much for the huge market expansion we were expecting.

ast03

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2009
The Nano today has probably been the most exciting thing for me since WWDC 2006.

why? the nano is gay.. a vga camera.. wat the hell r u suppose to film, a wall.. its only .3 megapixels.. lol what a joke

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
Also BS is that the nano can't shoot stills. And again I think Steve's answer that the video camera modules are really thin, but the still modules are not is total BS. You can't capture a frame from that video image? Come on! :rolleyes:

Probably because 'shoots still photos at 0.3 megapixels' doesn't sound too great :)

dylangio

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2009
Games?

i duno bout you guys, but i would not call this a gaming rig. yeah it has some cute little apps that are fun to mess around with while in class or waiting for a train. but there only a notch above cell phone games.

what they should have done was, have the 8 and keep the 16 and lower the price even more, (20+ bucks) and then have the 32 and 64 gig with cameras and bumb the price a bit (30+ bucks) you create lower prices for your lower end, the ones that teens kids and casual music goers will buy, I.E. your major Game APP market. and you can justify those lower costs by the increase cost of the higher end models. becasue a person shelling out 299 and 399 for an ipod is not looking for a gaming device.
( they would get a PSP go PSP DSI ..ect for that kinda coin. )
the person who is going to pay 399 for an ipod touch wants the most tech packed into it as possible. Camera/video bluetooh, wifi, big Hardrive, so on and so on. and if they want to play games, so much the better. but give the higher end customer the chance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.