Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Sep 10, 2009, 04:33 AM   #1
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604

Other web building tools like iWeb?

I'm using iWeb and MobileMe to host and upload a site I did with my domain and it was nice, easy and fast. But I'm not sure I want to pay $100 just for that. Is there any other similar tools I can use? I'm new to all this, thanks
Old Sep 10, 2009, 07:21 AM   #2
sanPietro98
macrumors 6502a

RapidWeaver is pretty good. I think it costs $79, but it has a wide range of plugins to customize to your needs.

Last edited by sanPietro98; Sep 10, 2009 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
sanPietro98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 07:26 AM   #3
sanPietro98
macrumors 6502a

Of course, if you use RapidWeaver (or any other tools for that matter), you'll still need a place to host the website. MobileMe is expensive if that's all you're using it for.

There are numerous hosting companies out there that will host small low-bandwidth sites for $5 / month. There may be free ones too, but I haven't researched that recently.

If you just want a blog-style website, you can always go to WordPress.com.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 02:45 PM   #4
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604

So rapidweaver is like iweb but then i still need to host my site right? any other tools like rapidweaver for less money? thank you for your help. im downloading the trial now.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 12:48 AM   #5
Kwill
macrumors 68000

Sandvox ($57/97) is similar to RapidWeaver ($79). The main advantage over iWeb ($79) is that it (for now) still supports Tiger on PowerPCs in addition to Intel Macs. It publishes to MobileMe or to other hosts via FTP. iWeb requires Leopard. However, I must admit, iWeb designs are more polished than Sandvox.

Freeway ($79/249) uses a different approach for developing Web sites. Dreamweaver ($399) is another tool. These have steeper learning curves.

Once a site is within one of the template-based programs, it is easy to switch from one design style to another. However, the applications are not interchangeable; you can't switch from iWeb to Sandvox or visa versa without entering all the data and images again. Considering the time it takes to build and maintain a site, within reason, initial cost for the application should not be your primary concern. Find something that works well and is easy to maintain. Demos are available.

@ClinicalPosters

Last edited by Kwill; Sep 11, 2009 at 12:58 AM.
Kwill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2009, 02:17 AM   #6
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwill View Post
Sandvox ($57/97) is similar to RapidWeaver ($79). The main advantage over iWeb ($79) is that it (for now) still supports Tiger on PowerPCs in addition to Intel Macs. It publishes to MobileMe or to other hosts via FTP. iWeb requires Leopard. However, I must admit, iWeb designs are more polished than Sandvox.

Freeway ($79/249) uses a different approach for developing Web sites. Dreamweaver ($399) is another tool. These have steeper learning curves.

Once a site is within one of the template-based programs, it is easy to switch from one design style to another. However, the applications are not interchangeable; you can't switch from iWeb to Sandvox or visa versa without entering all the data and images again. Considering the time it takes to build and maintain a site, within reason, initial cost for the application should not be your primary concern. Find something that works well and is easy to maintain. Demos are available.
Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 11, 2009, 02:48 AM   #7
moderniste
macrumors member

Moonfruit has some nice options:
http://www.moonfruit.com/
moderniste is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development