Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccbr01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
Knoxville, TN
Has anybody else tried to use this feature? Here is the info: My notebook runs XP Pro 32bit and my desktop runs 7 Pro RTM 64bit. After I enter my iTunes account information for Home Sharing, the icon for it goes away. I have tried this: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2972 and it still didn't work. Lame, I know, but I wanted to unload all my iTunes music to my desktop. Anybody got anything out there?

Thanks

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio
I guess I don't completely understand..can I add songs to my library from another? If so, how do I do it? :eek:

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
1. Activate Home Sharing on both Macs, using one Apple ID
2. The Home Sharing button on the left tab disappears.
3. On Mac A., open the Shared Library from Mac B.
4. Select and drag songs onto the Library of Mac A.
5. When desired, disable Home Sharing under the Advanced menu

This is assuming you have turned on Look for Shared Libraries and Share My Library in iTunes preferences of both Macs.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-09-09 at 4.24.53 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-09-09 at 4.24.53 PM.png
    465 KB · Views: 2,356
  • Screen shot 2009-09-10 at 8.40.04 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-09-10 at 8.40.04 PM.png
    82.8 KB · Views: 779

ccbr01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
Knoxville, TN
Can you describe more specifically what you tried to do and what didn’t work?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13526_3-10348912-27.html

This is what is happening. Yes, both itunes are open and logged into the same itunes account. I think I had a possible connection last night (I could stream from my desktop to notebook, but not the other way around). But now I can't get anything to work. I have even turned off Windows Firewall. Still no luck. Anything else?

demichae

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2007
Same Problem: It's a bug

I'm not sure what is going on, but my home sharing seems to shut off frequently.

ajmitchelluk

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
I also have the same issues - doesnt who on Mac or PC running XP. The firewall is off on both, and i connect on one router (address ok).

It just shows up with i click home sharing, then disappears when i press done.

Sharing is on etc
:mad:

Sandy Santra

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Brooklyn
OK, here's what I did:

This works on 2 (and probably more) Macs—

without messing around with any port settings
with OS X Preferences, Sharing, File Sharing turned OFF on BOTH computers
with iTunes Preferences, Sharing, "Share my library on my local network" turned OFF on BOTH computers

(apologies for documentation overkill—just being thorough)

1. Turn OFF Home Sharing on BOTH computers (this is NOT done in Preferences; instead, go here: Advanced, Home Sharing)

2. Make sure BOTH machines are authorized for BOTH iTunes accounts (Store, Authorize Computer)—i.e., if each has its own iTunes account

3. You do NOT have to be logged into the same account on both computers; each computer may stay logged into the iTunes store under its own login

4. For sanity's sake on this part, check to make sure of this—i.e., that each machine is logged into the store with its own store account (Store, View My Account, check to see ID is correct)

5. NOW turn Home Sharing back on (Advanced, Home Sharing) on each computer, but use ONE account to log into Home Sharing on both (or all) computers

6. DON'T WORRY, this does not "flip" the login ID for a particular computer's iTunes Store connection to the ID being used for Home Sharing

7. On each computer now you should see a "Home" icon with the shared library in the left-hand sidebar

8. Open the shared library and drag and drop as desired

The bottom line seems to be this:

1. Keep each computer logged into the store with a separate iTunes ID (if you need to)
2. Get all the computers authorized for all available IDs
3. Use ONE ID to log into Home Sharing on ALL computers

You will of course ONLY see the Home Sharing icon pop up if both computers are on, with iTunes open on each

You'll know that this whole thing is working if the shared library listed on the left has the correct "Home" icon (and not the blue, "shared" icon that shows up when Preferences, Sharing, "Share my library on my local network" is turned on—yes, this is the one you see in Internet cafes filled with Mac users)

I've tested the above over and over again, even completely rebooting my two machines (they have different iTunes accounts), and it still works. This is running Leopard on both machines.

vtgobbler

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2007
Burleson TX
Home icon disappears after turning on home sharing...

Sandy Santra. You're help was dead on, but as I turn on home sharing, the Home Icon appears, until i hit done on the log in screen. This happens on my computer as well as my wife's. The same thing happens at times when we are sharing files in finder. Any ideas? This is most frustrating. We can stream each others music (blue note icon), but we can not copy or transfer files.....GRRRRRRRR........... please help!!!!

tirzah

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
USA, MN
My son was having the disappearing icon issue as well. After listening to him go on and on, it hit me... he was using my wi-fi on a guest account. Once we logged him into main wi-fi he was good to go.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
does home sharing work between windows and mac? I have 5 machines authorized on my account. work laptop, work desktop, home desktop which will go away soon and a Mac Mini. all the Windows machines are Windows 7 Ultimate and the Mac is 10.4.11.

sharing works on my laptop and work desktop since they are on the same corporate AD domain. it's very flaky between my work laptop and home desktop and doesn't work between the work laptop and Mac

biomorph

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2009
Salt Lake City
try port forwarding on your router

I have and AEBS and had to manually port forward TCP 3689 with ip address the address of the base station and once I did this and turned on sharing in iTunes preferences it started working. Before I would get the iTunes couldn't connect to shared library error and said the TCP port 3689 was closed. The port forwarding solution seemed to work. Worth a try I guess.

dalis12

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2010
Finaly!!!!

I was having the same problems as alot of people once i had logged on and enabled home sharing (on the same account) on both computers (one mac one pc) the icon would diapear.

I checked the computers were both on the same network and that they were accessing the same accounts but no joy! after 4 hours and alot of agro ( and swearing) i solved it.

once you have followed the process TURN THE ROUTER OF AND BACK ON THIS IS HOW I FINALY GOT IT TO WORK!!!!!!!!!

if not you may need to add two new ports TCP 3689 and UDP 5353

hope this helps but definatly try the router this is so simple but was the one thing that made it work after i had added ports etc !!

rick montana

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
Need more ideas

I still can't get home sharing to work. Every time, Home Sharing icon disappears when I click 'Done'. I've tried the following:

1. Rebooting router
2. Turning homesharing off, then back on using Advanced tab
3. Deauthorized then authorized both computers
4. Both computers are logged in under same user name
5. Windows firewall turned off for both computers
6. Both computers have 'Shared library' selected under preferences tab
7. Both computers connected to same modem (one via ethernet, one via WiFi)

Any other thoughts from all you gurus out there??

ApplePlectic

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2009
The Deep South
Simple (minded) Fix

I was having similar problems between my iMac (the "master" library) and a new Windows 7 (64-bit) laptop. I discovered the problem was that my iMac was hardwired to my GB ethernet switch while my Windows laptop was connected via my wireless access point (APEBS). For the heck of it, I connected my iMac to the wireless network and, bingo. My iTunes Home Share was now visible on the PC.

I would say this is a bug. The systems are on the same network whether they're connected to wireless or hardwired so it should not make any difference what-so-ever. All other networking features work as expected whether connected via cable or WAP so this is definitely an iTunes problem.

M. McConnell

BarryElvis3

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2010
I have just registered having struggled with this problem. Can I just say many thanks for the posts. Resetting my router worked.:)

Denise83

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2010
So I have tried everything listed above and the homeshare doesnt work. The main library is on a laptop and i am trying to get that library on a net book. The "home" icon appears on the laptop, but not on the netbook, that only shows the blue icon. I have undone\turned off it all and started over, but with no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.