Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
I became accustomed to using CMD+Z to switch iTunes into Mini Player and normal view. Not sure why I started using CMD+Z (I'm pretty sure it was the original shortcut before it got changed..?).

Anyway, in previous iTunes versions, the green button would take it to and from Mini Player. So, to get the CMD+Z shortcut to work, I created a shortcut in Keyboard (in System Preferences) for iTunes, and assigned the menu title "Zoom" to CMD+Z.

Well, that obviously doesn't work in iTunes 9 since the green button, or "Zoom" now just does what the green button does for everything else in OS X. So to get around that, all you have to do is add two new shortcuts. One for Switch to Mini Player and one for Switch from Mini Player and assign them both to CMD+Z (or whatever you prefer).

Thought I'd share that if anyone else was in the same boat as me.

itunes_shortcut.png

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Shift + Cmd + M is the new shortcut under iTunes 9. Not that you can't change it to Cmd + Z. ;)

Yeah, but it isn't a very easy shortcut. Can't do it with one hand. I find CMD+Z quick and easy, but each to their own.

It isn't the shortcut change that I was really going on about, was the fact that the zoom button doesn't change it to the Mini Player, so anyone who did have their own shortcut for Mini Player might not have been aware that the menu title has changed.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
The new shortcut is hard. :(

Haha - if you just clicked on a song and want to go into Mini Player, you'd have to take your hand off the trackpad or mouse and hit all three keys.

My left hand always stays on the keyboard, so something like CMD+TAB to iTunes, CMD+Z to maximise it and then I can scroll through other songs instantly.

As I said, each to their own, but I find it more efficient that way - don't have to move my left hand at all really, and my right hand just stays on the trackpad ready to scroll or move the cursor.

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
Why did Apple feel the need to change the functionality of the zoom button for the iTunes window? I've been using it to switch to the mini player since Jaguar!

What purpose is served by messing with us like this? Now, all the zoom button does for me is move the iTunes window down and to the right on my screen. Oh, that's nice. Thanks for the improvement, Apple.

phototristan

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
Why did Apple feel the need to change the functionality of the zoom button for the iTunes window? I've been using it to switch to the mini player since Jaguar!

What purpose is served by messing with us like this? Now, all the zoom button does for me is move the iTunes window down and to the right on my screen. Oh, that's nice. Thanks for the improvement, Apple.

Exactly! What the eff was Apple thinking?? They damaged a perfectly good feature and rendered it useless.

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I lament the loss of the green bubble to switch to the mini-player. I used to use that all the time and now have had to train myself to use cmd-shift-m but I believe this solves a bad bug. I use dual monitors occasionally, and if I leave the window large on my dual monitor, disconnect and go home, where I don't have the monitor, the iTunes window remains too large and is impossible to resize (quiting doesn't work, the size adjuster is off-screen, I even tried nudging it in the spaces view- nothing worked.) So, hopefully this solves that issue.

phototristan

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
Well, at least we can press option and the green or "+" in iTunes and that switches it to the Mini Player. I can live with this.

rubenarthe

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2009
Comfort for swichers

Maybe Apple want the same shortcut for everyone (like the Windows iTunes), so the swichers be comfort with the new environment.

Apple is always thinking in new users and is completly careless about us... The daily and long time mac users. Well, we already bougth them a computer... isn't it?

mattw23

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2009
Zoom Button Tip

I've discovered that you can Option-click the green zoom button to achieve the previous iTunes behavior of switching to the Mini Player.

phototristan

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
Apple fixed this in the latest iTunes update (today). Now it works like it used to which is great! Just click the + and it will go to mini player again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.