Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rawdawg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Brooklyn
I ask because I suspect maybe newer versions of iTunes don't support them, but don't have an extra Mac to try an earlier version.

I have a 3rd gen and a 4th gen iPod Classic that I stopped using a long time ago. One was a gift and the other I just didn't bring with me on the road. I'd like to use them now connected to my stereo (one in bedroom, one in living room). But neither will connect with my Mac.

Why do they stop working? I understand if I used it all the time but shouldn't one hardly used still work?

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Try leaving them plugged into your mac overnight, It's likely to be the batteries are completely drained.

My first generation nano is still going strong but I leave it either hooked up to my mac or to a set of iPod speakers with the dock connector so it's either in my pocket while I'm out or charging.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
iTunes still supports all iPods - I remember reading on here not too long ago from someone that still has the original Mac-only 1st gen iPod from 2001, they said iTunes still connects to it fine.

rawdawg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Brooklyn
hmmm.. maybe it's just completely dead...

i'll try leaving it plugged in overnight and see if it wakes. then i'll sync and leave it permanently plugged in and attached to my stereo. thanks!

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
Agreed with previous statements. If left unused the battery slowly drains to nothing. To the point that it appears unresponsive even if you plug it in. Leave it plugged in for a long time and try it again and it should wake up. I have to do this occasionally with my nano, which rarely gets used since I got an iPhone.

zea mays

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Yep, it's likely a battery issue. My 2nd gen still works like a champ. In fact, until about 3 months ago, my Grandpa was using it almost every day to listen to audiobooks.

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
i leave my ipod touch charging all night when i sleep, and lately it's been acting slow!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

and i am not getting the ipod touch 3G!!!!!!!!

ohhh no!

fernande-mac

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
Midwest
The battery of my 3rd gen iPod 40GB does not hold a charge anymore. However, I can connect it to my Mac with no problem.

The one issue is that when I disconnect it from the computer, it just does not turn on. It needs to have power coming in all the time to work.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
The one issue is that when I disconnect it from the computer, it just does not turn on. It needs to have power coming in all the time to work.

Well, rather than throwing it away, you can leave it mounted inside an iPod dock-compatible speaker set, like one of those iHome alarm clocks.

I've seen some desktop iPod "jukeboxes" (that look like an old Wurlitzer jukebox), with an iPod dock inside so that the iPod is the music source. The jukebox stays plugged in and keeps the iPod charged. Looks great in a rec room.

n.capo

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
Timonium, MD
I had this problem with a iPod Nano (2nd gen). The problem may be that you just need to plug it in every 2 weeks. I've been doing that and it runs fine.

fernande-mac

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
Midwest
Well, rather than throwing it away, you can leave it mounted inside an iPod dock-compatible speaker set, like one of those iHome alarm clocks.

Oh, I was not complaining. I was just stating a fact about my iPod for the OP.

I don't think my iPod just stopped working suddenly. The battery just ran its useful life cycle. In fact, this is my replacement battery.

I simply do not use it standalone anymore. I have it hooked up to the dock or the car adapter when I use it.

I am looking for a replacement, but I have read that the sound quality of the newer models is not as good. So, I am stuck at the moment.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Oh, I was not complaining. I was just stating a fact about my iPod for the OP.

I don't think my iPod just stopped working suddenly. The battery just ran its useful life cycle. In fact, this is my replacement battery.

I simply do not use it standalone anymore. I have it hooked up to the dock or the car adapter when I use it.

It seems you've already thought of this, then. Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.