Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Sep 11, 2009, 12:23 PM   #1
dmarshall
macrumors newbie

New mac user - protection of ibook

Hi,

After using Windows, daily, since the 1990s, I had the chance to buy a Mac recently. I did this - the machine was a refurbished ibook G4 12". After only a day the hard disc could no longer be read/accessed and the seller replaced it with a 14" ibook G4.
The reason for the disc failure could not be diagnosed but it certainly made me cautious about what I did with the ibook. The seller initially said the problem might have been caused by a number of things, one of which was the downloading of an update to the OSX Tiger (10.4.11).
He suggested this might have not fully downloaded so when it was installed, damage might have occurred to the system (He suggested I turn off the automatic update option in the preferences which I have done).
I find this all very bewildering and it has lessened my confidence in the ibook and I am now very wary about what I do.
There are things I am particularly concerned about: as a Windows user, I am now wondering about (a)protection against viruses (I couldn't find any reference to virus in the Mac Beginner's Guide).
(b)protection against malware and
(c)a firewall. (Are the instructions on
http://guides.macrumors.com/System_firewall
sufficient or do I need another firewall program?)
Do I need any of these things? If so, can anyone suggest where I can obtain them.
Sorry to sound so thick, but this is all totally new to me and I am still thinking in Windows mode and I am also apprehensive about downloading anything before the ibook system has adequate protection.

Thanks

dmarshall
dmarshall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2009, 12:36 PM   #2
J the Ninja
macrumors 68000

a) There are none to protect against.

b) As for other malware, there are a few trojans (like, half a dozen). Generally, they are distributed as part of pirated software. They all require you to type in your admin password for them before they can work. Just don't pirate software, and you will be fine.

c) No, the instructions there are sufficient.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 12:57 PM   #3
Darth.Titan
macrumors 68020

Not to mention...

(d) Turn Automatic Updates back on. Your seller has no idea what he's talking about.
Darth.Titan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs