Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
Yes, I know this is not political but I only hang out here :p

Have had chronic diverticulitis for several years, hospitalized on more then a few occasions. Not looking forward to it but it should save me from an even more horrible surgery if I wait for an infection to rupture.

So on Tuesday I will go in and have 8-10" of my sigmoid colon removed.

Any one have this done before?
They tell me I will be fine and normal in a few weeks and walking in about 3-5 days.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
This is what the general community discussion is for. That sounds like it is going to be painful, 3-5 days seems a tad bit short for something that sounds rather intense.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Enjoy the bowel-prep Freeny :D!

But good luck it should be fine :). Are they doing it lap or open? I think the worst thing will be a couple of days nil-by-mouth bowel rest afterwards.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
Again, yes I know this is for community but I dont know those people ;)
Feel free to discuss Health Insurance if you feel you must, its ok...

Bowel prep on Sunday, colonoscopy Monday and "Lap" surgery Tuesday.
I made the mistake of watching some video of actual surgery...
Half the surgery will be done through my arse....

No eating for several days after but I look forward to the morphine and dilaudid :D

Good luck, man. That's a heck of a weight loss program. ;) Do they allow PRSI postings in recovery?

I have an iPhone, so yes :)
Ill drop in and share my new pooing experiences...

This is what the general community discussion is for. That sounds like it is going to be painful, 3-5 days seems a tad bit short for something that sounds rather intense.
Thats what I thought.
Ironically, it turns out you really dont need your sigmoid colon... who knew?

freeny

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
It's funny post bowel surgery - the thing the doctors will get most excited about is your first fart.

Do you speak from experience?

[Gratuitous political portion]
Politically, I almost got laid off and would have had to cover the surgery myself...

Move the thread if you want...

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
My dad had part of his intestine removed. It was much more dramatic, it got twisted and he was rushed in for emergency surgery, where they discovered a section of dead intestines that was so full of blood clots it was easier to just remove the intestine.

He was walking in a few days. He was home in about a week. He then went back to the hospital because he got an infection that he still has to this day (~10 years later)

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
I remember your Diverticulitis thread back in May 2006;
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/197831/ Well, I'm still alive and kicking 3 1/2 years post operative. It hasn't been and easy time and I am on another waiting list for repairs to incisional hernias, and I still have chronic diarrhea and munch away on Loperamide three times a day and have 240mg of Codeine Phosphate to relieve pain and help of the opiate's other side effects. I wonder if CP's are addictive, or have I always been this vague and/or droll

I spent 3 weeks in a ward and was fitted with the vacuum aided closure device after blowing all the stitches apart after a hospital infection. I'd had half the ascending colon removed (cancer) and the sigmoid section removed from the descending colon (chronic diverticular disease) So with two procedures for the price of one, I'm still in the land of the living and have retained a keen sense of humour despite illnesses. Feel free to PM me Jason if I can be of any help or support.

I'd had a review colonoscopy recently and a few new polyps got the snip, so ongoing treatment is the norm. Like I said in the old thread, while I had a colon [:] before, after the chop I became a semicolon [;] and you'll be the same. Just keep smiling, look forward to the first fart, take heed of your doctors and keep a good sense of humour.

In a way I'm pleased mine was open surgery, with your's being laparoscopic I'd worry that they'd not be able to see what they were doing, and the one with his hand up your arse making with the glove puppet jokes....

You'll be fine.

Kevin
aka Grey Beard

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Father had it done, sounds identical to your story. Diverticulitis, bowel problems, but no cancer.

Was done 10 years ago or so. He has stomach problems to this day, but nothing like before.

Good luck.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
Ah yes Greybeard, brings back memories :)
I was just learning about it back then. After the second procedure it turned out it is only affecting my sigmoid colon. The first colonoscopy couldn't be completed so there was some unknown at that time...

Well, I tried to go diet only and made it another 3 years without episode but in June another hospital stay.

Another oscopy on Monday to see the extent before surgery.

I am told "I wont even miss it" and I should be completely normal in a few weeks after. I am hoping that is the case.

I have talked to several others who have had similar situations and they claim no real issues afterward.

I plan on leaving the colon under my pillow to see what the colon fairy brings me... Im hoping for Lego's....

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
I know someone who had the surgery (laparoscopic) a few months ago and is doing very well. It took about a month to really recover but is much older than you. Good luck!

electroshock

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
No eating for several days after but I look forward to the morphine and dilaudid :D

:)

Good luck with the surgery and it should go OK. Haven't gotten to the point of needing it but could be getting closer... we'll see.

However, I can tell you one thing about lack of food for a few days. It kinda sucks for the first 24-48 hours because I wasn't used to that kind of approach. Was dreaming a bit of food. :) Biggest problem was the thirst -- kept secretly occasionally sneaking tiny sips of my hidden water bottle when nobody was looking. But after that, was at peace, and was much smoother sailing. I also occasionally snuck some hidden lozenges every once in a long while to provide some juices without introducing food, so the thirst/dryness wouldn't drive me completely nuts.

I surfed the web, read news, wrote emails on my phone to pass the time. More fun than staring at a TV (which got old real fast since I don't watch TV at all, at home) and kept me busy and more engaged.

If I had to do that particular treatment in the hospital again, I think lack of food would have been a much easier adjustment for me the second and subsequent times. It's kinda a strange experience at first, but after then, cake.

We're all here for you, I'm pretty sure. Good luck and hope to see you MR'ing again shortly after you're feeling better post-surgery. :)

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
Best wishes for a speedy recovery

Best of luck with everything.

It must be scary being where you are now.
With regard to the colonoscopy, do ask for a sedative.
It will certainly help to make the procedure more comfortable.
Plus if they give you something like midazolam, it has inherent amnesic properties which means you may not even remember the experience.
I find it to be a very useful tool in my day to day work for intense procedures in the Emergency department.

I think 3-5 days is not unreasonable assuming everything goes well.
And yes, when I did my Surgical job, my first question in these cases was "Have you passed any wind yet???? :)

Hope its not too uncomfortable post op and once again best wishes.

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
My Gran had a tumor in her colon so had the same operation only a few weeks ago. She seems to have recovered from it very well so I'm sure you will be fine too! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.